Director of AGB Press
The Director of AGB Press is responsible for establishing and implementing the strategic vision and operational tactics for all publications functions, including editorial direction, business planning, budgetary oversight, technology applications, book production, distribution and inventory management, and sales. The Director will collaborate with authors, staff colleagues, designers, and printers, to ensure that the Association’s educational outreach to its members is consistent with the highest standards of thought leadership in higher education governance, evinces outstanding quality, leverages multiple delivery channels, and achieves annual revenue goals.
What you'll do:
- Develop annual and long-term strategies for the development, production, and distribution of books, papers, and statements.
- Develop and monitor the operating budget for publications.
- Ensure the publications pipeline is sufficiently filled to achieve or exceed annual revenue goals.
- Define, administer and direct the work of editorial, design, and production consultants.
- Identify and cultivate authors, evaluate proposals for new titles, and negotiate agreements with contributors.
- Edit and work with authors to revise manuscripts for publication.
- Work closely with the Director of Digital Solutions in creating multiple formats for the distribution of AGB Press material, including e-books, PDFs, and web-based publications.
- Identify governance topics and content for development with appropriate staff from the Best Practice & Innovation and the Marketing & Communications departments.
- Collaborate with appropriate staff to secure outside funding, including grants and sponsorships, for publications.
- Stay informed of current higher education trends and governance topics.
- Stay informed of existing and emerging publications media, and make recommendations for media that are appropriate to AGB members and to the purpose of each project.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Knowledge of higher education and/or higher education governance.
- BA/BS required; MBA or other advanced degree a plus.
- Exceptional editorial and writing skills, including the capacity to critically assess governance-specific written communications, oversee line editing and general copy editing.
- The ability to operate on both tactical and strategic levels.
- The ability to develop new and innovative publications.
- Proven project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple, complex projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
- Proven record in applying good judgment and critical business practices to achieve a sustainable publishing program, including budgeting, sales forecasting, pricing, and cost control.
- Creativity in developing new publications that align with organizational goals and objectives.
- Strong management and leadership skills to work with authors and to develop a high performing team.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the publications industry, particularly in the non-profit sector; experience with e-publications a plus.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced collaborative team environment with high expectations and competing priorities.
- Mastery of the Chicago Manual of Style for manuscripts.
- Excellent oral and interpersonal skills, and strong ethical and professional standards.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to [email protected]. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Start Date: As soon as possible.
AGB provides an excellent benefits package that includes generous leave and retirement benefits.
AGB is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.