Aquatics Operations Director - Trefethen Aquatic Center
Department:: Trefethen Aquatic Center
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Apr 5, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Associate VP for Operations (To be reviewed)
Supervises: Trefethen Aquatic Center (TAC) staff
Summary of Position:
The Aquatics Operations Director is responsible for planning and coordinating the pool operation, including developing and tracking the budget, overseeing the facility and equipment operation, developing and implementing policies and procedures, developing staff, and ensuring the pool is in compliance and operating under best demonstrated practices. This position advances a number of the goals in the Mills Strategic plan, while ensuring that the Trefethen Aquatic Center facility remains a major part of the vibrant campus, including its facilities, programming and the safety of all users.
Essential Job Functions:
- Hire and manage Lifeguards, Pool Attendants and Swim Instructors.
- Manage employee timesheets, certifications, and work-study hours.
- Oversee CASHNet and safe responsibilities for revenue.
- Coordinate and supervise the pool maintenance company and partner with Campus Facilities to schedule necessary maintenance, repairs and upgrades.
- Schedule the staff using When to Work software, and substitute when needed.
- Assess Lifeguard performance through in-service training as well as ongoing drills.
- Provide general customer service; assist with signage, schedules and website updating.
- Manage and coordinate special events (swim team practices and meets, water polo practices and games/tournaments, swim-a mile, campus, summer program, etc.)
- Plan, organize, schedule, and coordinate summer swim lesson programs.
- Coordinate American Red Cross classes and provide certificates.
- Work with coaching staff to ensure student program support. Effectively negotiate mutually acceptable problem resolutions.
- Establish and maintain an effective customer service orientation toward all campus users.
- Conduct surveys, as needed.
- Evaluate and recommend marketing and advertising venues that align with the Mills mission.
- Order equipment and supplies for programs, staff, and the aquatic facility.
- Attend BAPPOA training and meetings.
- Implement and structure appropriate safety, security and risk management policies.
- Oversee security and access related to the Aquatic Facility.
- Oversee contracts, invoices and special event requests at the Aquatic Facility.
- Responsible for developing and tracking the budget for pool operations. Continually seek cost reduction opportunities.
- Maintain strong revenue streams and increase program and rental opportunities whenever possible. Target net zero pool balance sheet.
- Identify and approve new sources of revenue. Grow existing programs to improve efficiencies.
- Oversee all social media, pool website and online marketing.
- Establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships while working in a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Remain abreast of developments in all aspects of aquatics by reading, attending conferences, workshops, trainings and clinics.
- Ensure the pool is in compliance with all regulatory requirements
- Assist in the College's health and safety programs
- Participate in staff meetings and professional training, as appropriate.
- Assume and perform other related duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Program, activity and industry best practices in Aquatic Facility management.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Understanding of Mills College policies and procedures.
- Safety policies, practices, procedures and requirements of the department, College and
- Illness and Injury Prevention Plan.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office and Excel
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Experience with When To Work software.
- Excellent written, oral and organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Problem-solving skills, resourcefulness, ability to think creatively.
- Experience working with youth, aquatic and outdoor programs.
- Strong leadership and inter-personal skills.
- Demonstrated service orientation and program management.
- Sound judgment and decision-making, critical thinking and problem solving skills in a varied and challenging environment.
- Ability to work independently under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Establish and maintain an effective customer service orientation towards all persons contacted during the course of job performance.
- Take appropriate steps to promote and enforce safe work practices within area of responsibility.
Education and Training: (There may be other certificates and training critical)
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Current Lifeguard Instructor certification
- Current First Aid for Public Safety Personnel certification (Title 22)
- Certified Pool Operator/Aquatic Facility Operator (preferred)
- Ability to navigate SABA
- Indoor and outdoor environments.
- Seasonal heat and cold or adverse weather conditions.
- Must be available for after hours responses and notifications
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- Must be able to perform duties of a physical nature, including standing, lifting, sitting, walking and swimming.
- This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a full-time, exempt position with an FTE of 1.0. Salary is $65,000.00 to $70,000.00, commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 22 days of vacation per year, 12 sick days accrued and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review) annually. Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter and
- Salary Requirements
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.