The Department of Biological Sciences has an opening for an Administrative Assistant. This position provides general department administration and support, graduate program administration, course scheduling and registration, and assistance to the Pre-professional/Allied Health advising center. The ideal candidate must be able to work independently under general direction and provide excellent service to faculty, students, University staff and community members under a variety of circumstances.
- Answer phones, greet and assist office visitors, respond to program inquiries
- Maintain and order office and lab supplies and textbooks
- Supervise work study student workers
- Maintain work study employment records and departmental records
- Update the undergraduate bulletin
- Coordinate department functions and assist with division functions
Graduate program administration
- Work with department graduate program chair to maintain all records in files and in spreadsheet format
- Maintain up-to-date information on all inquiries and initiated applications
- Work with department chair to schedule courses in the registrar system
- Assist department chair and faculty in managing seats and sections during registration
- Assist Pre-professional/Allied Health advising center director
- First point-of-contact for students
- Schedule appointments for director
- Maintain student utilization records, student applications records
- Maintain website
- Interview students, request background checks and hire through Pioneer Web
- Schedule to maximize use of student awards and cover departmental needs; monitor spending to stay within financial aid and departmental budgets
- Provide training and constructive feedback throughout the year
- Confirm and make adjustments to non-benefited bi-weeky payroll through Pioneer Time and enter monthly non-benefited payroll into Banner
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively and sensitively with faculty, students and staff from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Ability to problem solve
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Ability to be adaptable and flexible
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships
- Ability to do basic math and accounting
- Strong organization skills
- Thorough knowledge of Excel, Word and Outlook
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Proficiency with MS Office with an emphasis on Word and Excel
- Bachelors degree or degree in progress
- Two or more years experience in an office support setting
- Knowledge of Banner
2. Unexpected interruptions occur often and stress level is moderate to high.
3. Noise level is quiet to moderate.
2. Occasionally required to move about the office/campus with the capability of transporting objects up to 20 lbs.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on April 22, 2019
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
The hourly range for the position is $14.15 - $18.31 determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.