CIRES/NCEI Post-Doctoral Researcher in Geomagnetism
NOAA's National Center for Environmental Information (NCEI) is responsible for preserving, monitoring, assessing, and providing public access to the Nation's treasure of geophysical data and information.
https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/ What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Characterize noise sources in satellite magnetic field data and develop strategies to model and mitigate these noise sources.
- Perform calibrations of satellite magnetic field data.
- Invert calibrated datasets for source parameters representing the geomagnetic core field.
This position is rostered in CIRES at the University of Colorado Boulder, but will physically work in the David Skaggs Research Center (NOAA), 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO, 80305, a Federal facility. You must be able to pass a federal security check to be granted access to the building.
Travel is required for this position at 1-2 trips per year.
What We Can Offer
CIRES can offer a competitive compensation package, commensurate with experience.Benefits
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.Be Statements Be Engaged. Be Pioneering. Be Boulder. What We Require
- PhD in Physics, Geoscience, Mathematics, or related field.
- Familiarity with geomagnetism.
- Familiarity with geomagnetic field data (satellite and ground-based).
- Experience with geomagnetic field modeling.
- Strong proficiency in analysis of geophysical datasets and scientific programming.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Experience with development and presentation of scientific results for meetings and for publication in scientific journals.
- Availability to travel at the level of 1-2 trips/year.
- Experience with calibrating satellite magnetometers.
- Experience with geophysical inverse problems.
- Experience with CDF data formats and a Unix programming environment.
- Strong computational skills (e.g. Python, C/C++, Fortran, Matlab).
- Resume or CV.
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position.
- List of references: the names, professional titles, and contact information of those who are familiar with your qualifications and work history.
- If you are selected as the finalist, we will contact you through email and request that you submit 1 name and email of a reference who will be asked to submit a letter of recommendation (can be one of the 3 noted above). This information will be kept confidential and viewable only by the search committee.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs. Posting Contact Name: Arnaud Chulliat Posting Contact Email: [email protected] The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.