Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-04-04
The Department of Cell Biology at the University of Virginia School of Medicine is seeking a Laboratory Specialist to carry out research in the laboratory of Dr. James Casanova. The focus of the research is to characterize the function of small GTP-binding proteins and their regulators in the control of cell motility. The incumbent will assist in the management of the laboratory and perform experiments supporting the goals of the lab with the supervision of the PI and other staff. This project utilizes mammalian cell culture, biochemistry, molecular biology and microscopy as tools to achieve research goals.
Lab Specialist employees provide technical lab support by performing complex lab and research related tasks. They act as specialists on research methods and equipment functions specific to investigations. They have the authority to adapt methods and procedures to meet the needs of research. They are distinguished from Lab Technicians by the types and duration of assignments, as well as the skills and expertise necessary to serve as resources on non-routine problems. Lab Specialist employees perform daily activities without supervision; their longer-term assignments require greater oversight. Lab Specialist employees often train others on work processes and policies.
Responsibilities will include:
- The ideal candidate will be a highly-motivated individual with excellent organizational and communication skills.
- The incumbent will attend weekly meetings with the Principal Investigator to discuss experimental results, conducts literature searches, and presents results in lab meetings.
- The incumbent works under supervision, independently and ethically, documents all research data appropriately, and assists other members of the lab.
- He/she will conduct mammalian cell culture, plasmid construction and production, biochemical experiments including immunoprecipitation, immunoblotting and protein purification, imaging experiments using confocal microscopy including quantitative analysis of imaging data, and provide basic assistance to researchers in manipulating, computing, and analyzing data using specialized statistical computer software.
- This position also includes support activities such as maintenance of cell lines and preparation of reagents for the laboratory, management of safety training and records, and the training of undergraduate researchers.
EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: please apply through Workday at the following URL, https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs , and search for requisition # R0004821. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address).
INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for requisition # R0004821. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address).
Education: Bachelor's degree in life sciences, biomedical engineering, or a related interdisciplinary field.
Experience: At least one year of experience in a cell biology laboratory setting. Experience working with cell culture, DNA cloning and/or PCR is expected. Experience with microscopy is desirable, but not necessary. The successful candidate should have Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Additional expertise in statistical and data analysis software, database software, and imaging and/or image analysis software is a plus.
This position can spend extensive periods of time standing and squatting while conducting experiments or caring for animals. Also requires keyboarding and other bench work and animal procedures requiring finer finger manipulation.The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.