Job Title: Police Dispatcher
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 24938
Job Code: 8800 Police Dispatcher -12 Month
Department: UPD Administrative Services
CompensationClassification: Police Dispatcher I
Anticipated Salary Range: $4,602/month - $4,740/month
Salary Range: $3,096/month - $5,439/month
FLSA Status: Non - Exempt
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/up/all/benefits/
About the Position*This position has rotating work hours, including weekends and evenings. Overtime maybe required.*
The Police Dispatcher is an entry level, uniformed non-sworn, support position for the University Police Department. Under general supervision of the Records and Communications Manager or the watch commander, the Police Dispatcher will perform a variety of specialized support duties within the Police Communication Center. Support duties may include: communication¿s dispatching and public counter duties; providing clerical, records and technical support services including operating a centralized computer-aided dispatch (CAD), 9-1-1 and other non-emergency phones, and monitoring campus alarms. The Police Dispatcher is responsible for maintaining effective and accurate communications between campus law enforcement, the public and other allied agencies. The Police Dispatcher I records and dispatches routine and emergency information promptly, clearly and accurately. Regular use of judgment and discretion is necessary to set priorities, assess the importance of information and react quickly and effectively. The Police Dispatcher will perform a variety of specialized support duties within the Police Communications Center.
Minimum Qualifications- High School Diploma or equivalent
- One year of experience using a switchboard and a two-way radio communication system in a law enforcement or comparable agency within the last ten years, or general telephone operator, transportation dispatcher, or military experience.
- Completion of, or the ability to attend and successfully complete, the Police Officers Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) Dispatcher Course.
Preferred Qualifications- Bachelor¿s Degree
- Previous experience with law enforcement or security dispatching
- Bilingual background with fluency in Spanish or Vietnamese
- Passing a CritiCall Dispatch Test
- Possession of a current P.O.S.T. Basic Dispatch certificate
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities- Ability to effectively communicate (read, write, spell and speak in clear, concise English) via telephone, radio and in person
- Ability to learn correct telephone answering techniques; 9-1-1, emergency, non-emergency, business and allied agencies
- Skilled in using various video display terminals
- Knowledge or ability to learn police emergency procedures, radio codes and phonetic alphabet
- Ability to operate and accurately enter data into the computer aided dispatch system (CAD) while simultaneously receiving information by phone or radio
- Ability to maintain composure and work accurately in emergency situations
- Ability to achieve the P.O.S.T Dispatcher certificate prior to completion of the probationary period
- Ability to work in a confined area wearing a headset which restricts movement about the work area
- Ability to work as assigned, on schedules that may include weekends, holidays and non-traditional work hours; and a willingness to work overtime as required
- Ability to type at a net rate of 30 wpm on a computer keyboard
- Ability to maintain appropriate documentation of previous events, details and conversations
- Ability to monitor security and fire alarm systems
- Ability to perform with a high standard of customer service, professional conduct, and civic responsibility
- Ability to work in a team-based environment, maintain and foster a working relationship with members of the University Community, students, staff and administrators
Posting DateApril 2, 2019
Application ScreeningApplication Screening begins April 19, 2019
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application MaterialResume
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Additional InformationSatisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment StatementSJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
Contact InformationOne Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046