DIR, GRADUATE LIBERAL STUDIES
DIR, GRADUATE LIBERAL STUDIES
Direct, administer, and develop the Graduate Liberal Studies (GLS) program, providing a rigorous interdisciplinary master’s degree of the Graduate School for a highly diverse population of part- and full-time graduate students. The director reports to the Dean of the Graduate School and to the Associate Dean, Academic Affairs of the Graduate School.
- Develop long-range plans for GLS and its curriculum, acknowledging the changing demography of GLS students.
- Organize the administrative efforts of GLS and direct the work of three full-time GLS staff, including but but not limited to hiring, promotions, performance appraisal, job descriptions, and vacation schedules.
- Liaise with th the Graduate School HR representative as necessary.
- Oversee the GLS Budget and its implications including setting tuition, developing policy for in-house tuition scholarships, and ensuring the program house tuition scholarships, and ensuring the program’s fiscal requirements and health.
- Administer the admissions process including interviewing applicants, chairing the advisory committee in making admissions decisions, and communicating GLS admissions decisions as recommendations to the Graduate School.
- Oversee recruitment efforts and program communications. Develop new approaches as necessary to maintain or increase enrollment and respond to student demographics.
- Oversee internal development efforts and liaise with Duke University Development as appropriate.
- Develop and monitor the use of endowment funds to best serve the program and GLS students, complying with donor stipulations for such use. With GLS staff, put in place processes of selecting GLS student award recipients.
- Liaise with appropriate divisions of the Graduate School. Develop relationships with other programs of Duke University to further collaborations and GLS student participation.
- Maintain and develop relationships with the national Association of Graduate Liberal Studies Programs Programs (AGLSP), regional branches of the AGLSP, and other interdisciplinary academic organizations.
- Promote student participation in journal publishing and paper presentation at the national level.
- Serve as the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) for GLS and in this capacity act as a liaison to the Graduate School. Implement Graduate School academic policy.
- Recruit faculty to mentor graduate students, develop courses, and serve on the GLS advisory committee.
- Plan the GLS curriculum, maintaining academic quality and integrity. This includes course development; faculty recruitment and development; revision and development of program design and academic requirements; institution and maintenance of a strong component of academic skill acquisition through a core course and/or throughout the master’s degree program.
- Plan and schedule a curriculum of seven or more interdisciplinary graduate courses per academic year.
- Evaluate courses and faculty. Develop and monitor policies and procedures for academic advising.
- Advise master’s candidates in their second and fifth courses, and as necessary, regarding course choice, master’s project procedure, and other issues that might arise.
- Ensure student access to faculty and administrative guidance; assist students in defining their academic goals and in creating coherent programs of study. Assume oversight of all master’s projects from advising students on project topics and proposals through their master’s examinations.
- Form master’s examination committees and with the assistant director serve as chair of examination committees
- Develop and chair an advisory committee of four to six members of the graduate faculty to participate in the academic activities of GLS, including interviewing applicants and reviewing master’s project proposals. As available, teach in the program and supervise master’s projects.
Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties of personnel so classified.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AT THIS LEVEL
Education /Training - Work requires a doctoral degree.
Experience and Skills - Work requires three years of experience, five years preferred, in advanced knowledge of academic research, scholarly writing ability, curriculum development and instructional design as well as analytical, organizational and communication skills. Experience of program leadership, graduate or continuing education, teaching and advising university students is desirable. OR ANY OTHER EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
2108 DIR, GRADUATE LIBERAL STUDIES
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a doctoral degree.
Requires a minimum of 3 years experience; 5 years preferred.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID