Instructor/Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Faculty position in a multi-site college in the University System of Georgia. Teaching load is the equivalent of 30 semester hours across fall and spring semesters. Reporting to the division chair, the faculty member’s primary responsibility is preparing for and delivering instruction.
Georgia Highlands is a growing and progressive institution with opportunities for the individual selected to grow with us. With a focus on employee wellness and development, the culture is warm and embracing, while the work is fast paced and challenging.
This is an excellent opportunity to impact the lives of literally thousands of students and their families.
• Teaches 30 credit hours or equivalent per academic year as assigned (day, evening or weekend) at Georgia Highlands College
• Adopts and implements common course objectives as required by the division and discipline
• Manages courses through systematic use of appropriate syllabi and accurate professional records of students’ class performance, attendance and grades
• Announces and keeps regular office hours, dedicating 10 hours (or more) per week to assisting students
• Maintains involved and knowledgeable participation in academic advising of students as required by division
• Offers professional assistance in curriculum development, review, and instructional materials selection
• Participates in the extended work of the college through participation in committees of the college or faculty, student organizations, and attends division meetings, full faculty meetings, town hall meetings, in-service training, and graduation
• Engages in functions of evidence-based academic and program assessment, as required for accreditation, college compliance, and continuous review and improvement of student learning outcomes
• Demonstrates meaningful service to the community and to the profession
• Pursues continued professional development in academic discipline, technological applications for the classroom, and innovations and enhancement in teaching and learning
• Performs related duties
• Master’s degree in a course of study related to the occupational field and 18 credit hours in the discipline.
• Experience using classroom and laboratory technology.
• Experience instructing in a laboratory setting.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia.
Commensurate with experience and education.
Required Documents to Attach
- Cover Letter
- Attach unofficial transcripts with your application. Official transcripts will be required upon offer of employment.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Knowledge of subject matter in Chemistry
• Knowledge of academic requirements
• Skills with instructional technology
• Organizational ability to keep accurate and timely records
• Time management skills
• Written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
Georgia Highlands College is a multi-campus, state college member of the University System of Georgia. Founded in 1970 as Floyd Junior College, it now serves more than 6,000 students in Northwest Georgia and Northeast Alabama across its five locations in Rome, Cartersville, Marietta, Dallas, and Douglasville. GHC currently offers over 30 areas of study with associate degree and bachelor’s degree options both in the classroom and online.
We are a growing and progressive institution with opportunities for great employees to grow in a fast-paced and challenging work environment that encourages employee wellness and overall success. Our combined efforts at GHC have led to numerous awards, honors, and countless stories of success for students and employees.
The preferred location for this position would be the Douglasville site.
Contact Information For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact Human Resources by email at [email protected].
For technical support, please contact the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or [email protected].