Director of Creative Services
Be an important part of Pratt Institute's growing dynamic and collaborative communications and marketing division. Help transform how the Institute engages with our community and shares our story of excellence in creative education with the world.
Pratt Institute's Communications and Marketing division seeks a Director of Creative Services who will be a key member of Pratt's Communications and Marketing's leadership team. The Director of Creative Services will lead a team of innovative designers, in collaboration with our writing, digital, marketing, and client services teams, to produce attractive, user-centric, innovative designs for integrated, multi-platform use across Pratt's Web, digital, and print media.
Reporting to the Vice President for Communications and Marketing, the Director of Creative Services will be responsible for the following:
- ensuring a creative, vibrant, and unified visual identify for the Institute's print and digital publications, products, and other related materials,
- ensuring all creative materials are aligned with the overall visual identity and strategic goals of the Institute,
- showcasing the creative work of our students and faculty and encouraging their co-ownership of the Institute's graphic identity and branding,
- partnering with campus colleagues on excellent design and identity for Pratt's premier enrollment and marketing publications, including the Institute's magazine Prattfolio,
- collaborating with the digital, marketing, public relations, editorial, and client services teams to work with campus clients to create and execute dynamic, mobile-first communications and marketing plans,
- supervising the team of full-time and part-time designers in Pratt's Communications and Marketing division,
- managing the budget and operations that support the creative services team,
- ensuring that quality standards and industry requirements are implemented,
- working with the client services team to ensure that client deadlines are clearly established and met,
- serving as the lead designer and creative strategist with a high level of expertise and experience across a variety of media,
- managing a portfolio of assigned personal projects for enterprise level clients and endeavors,
- managing art direction for photography, graphic elements, color, type treatment, and production across related media,
- acquiring a comprehensive knowledge of Pratt Institute,
- communicating in a professional manner with stakeholders, audiences, and partners at all levels and across disciplines,
- leading the design team's collaboration with campus colleagues to provide excellent creative direction and service,
- representing Pratt's Communications and Marketing division as a leader and resource in advanced design and communications for the Institute.
This position requires some off-campus travel, as needed.
The ideal candidate will have experience managing and directing creative teams and projects, along with extensive expertise in design fundamentals and design concept management across all related media, consistent with desired project impact, messaging and user experience. The candidate will also have strong interpersonal and organizational skills, creative problem-solving skills, and flexibility. The candidate will demonstrate the capacity to manage multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining high quality products and services. Most importantly, the ideal candidate for Director of Creative Services will be a conceptual thinker who creates visual solutions, a communicator who can present and explain those concepts and solutions, and a collaborator who welcomes participation, gives and accepts constructive feedback, and thrives on the inspiration that comes from hearing all voices. We are committed to developing and sustaining a diverse and inclusive community, and to shaping an environment for teaching, learning, research, creative and professional work that advances this vision. We seek applicants who can contribute to the furtherance of these goals.
- Bachelor's in visual design, digital arts or a related field (equivalent professional experience will be considered).
- A minimum of ten years of design experience, including a minimum of three years of design for the Web and digital media.
- At least three to five years of experience managing a design team to develop creative, vibrant and unified print and digital publications, identity products, and other related materials. (Managerial experience may be concurrent with design experience.)
- Experience managing budget, personnel, and resources for a full-service creative operation.
- Demonstrated expertise in design fundamentals and proven aesthetic judgment, with the ability to create strong visual design and concepts executed across multiple digital and related platforms.
- Demonstrated expertise with visual identity and branding.
- Ability to contribute ideas and execute the ideas of others competently; ability to work autonomously and as a team.
- Desire and willingness to acquire a comprehensive knowledge of an institution, its key stakeholders, audiences and partners, to frame and advance the dynamic work and story of the community served.
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner to all levels of leadership across disciplines.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, showing initiative and flexibility, strong creative service, collaborative instincts, and receptive of constructive feedback.
- Demonstrated inter-cultural competence with an understanding of the importance of diversity in higher education.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines while maintaining high quality.
- High proficiency and experience with Apple OS, Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop), and Microsoft Office Suite.
- A supportive understanding of mobile-first Web and digital strategies to improve communications, usability and user experience (UX/UI) principles and standards.
- Knowledge of related technologies, such as collaborative workflow systems, digital asset and content management tools, and client relations tools.
- Knowledge of mobile-first Web standards, technologies and languages and accessibility/508 compliance.
- Knowledge of applicable intellectual property, image permissions, copyright and trademark requirements.
About Pratt Institute
Founded in 1887, Pratt Institute is a global leader in higher education dedicated to preparing its 4,600 undergraduate and graduate students for successful careers in art, design, architecture, information, and liberal arts and sciences. Located in the cultural hub of New York City with historic campuses in Brooklyn and Manhattan, Pratt is a living lab of craft and creativity with esteemed professors and scholars who challenge their talented students to transform their passion into meaningful expression.
About Pratt's Communications and Marketing Division
At Pratt, we have a unique opportunity to build a collaborative communications and marketing model unlike most institutions of higher education, because our faculty and students, staff, and alumni/ae do the work of design and storytelling in everything they do. Partnering with our colleagues to promote their students and programs, to coown the Institute's brand, and to develop effective new communications channels makes the work of Pratt's Communications and Marketing team so much more resonant, innovative, and supportive to the Institute. Our team of talented experts in varied media is committed to providing the robust, multichanneled, and collaborative communications, and marketing operation our Institute deserves, reflecting the same level of creativity, design, collaboration, and problem solving that is expected from our students and faculty.
A digital and print portfolio demonstrating professional experience is a prerequisite for the application process. A cover letter, and resume are also required. Please submit all your application materials online via the "Apply Now" button to the right. Candidates selected for the interview process will be asked to provide five references via our on-line reference tool system, at least two of which must be references who have directly supervised the applicant. No phone calls or drop-ins, please.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.