Director of Student IT Services
University Information Services (UIS) providestechnical services and enterprise applications to the University of Coloradocampuses and the Office of the President. UIS is committed to excellence incustomer service and technical expertise. Through the development of enterpriseapplications, UIS supports the University as a whole with systems used bystudents, faculty, human resources employees, finance employees, and others.
The Director of Student IT Services is a service management and continuous improvement-minded leader with strong relationship skills and the ability to successfully collaborate across CU campuses. This role supports the delivery of strategic information technology (IT) enabled business imperatives to achieve its business goals.
The Director of Student IT Services will regularly collaborate with cross-campus representatives such as Registrars, Bursars, IT leaders, and executive leadership, to help drive CU’s Student strategy to deliver university value. This position provides functional oversight for the University's PeopleSoft Campus Solutions, u.Achieve Degree Audit, and peripheral applications related to the student system. The Director of Student IT Services oversees a team of eleven employees, two of which are direct reports. This position will include responsibilities in the general areas of cross-campus collaboration, collaboration with internal UIS teams, leadership of the Student Systems teams, and strategy, vision, and operations. This position reports to the Assistant Vice President of IT Service Strategy and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities:Duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work closely with the cross-CU student offices and their leadership at each institution to discuss business strategy, priorities, roadmaps, and IT options to enable the business, both now and in the future, ensuring their alignment with the CU IT Governance Strategic Plan and yearly Annual Plan.
- Measure and communicate business value realized with the business partner on a quarterly basis.
- Develop a deep knowledge of the business partner’s business unit and builds positive relationships, both horizontally and vertically.
- Partner with organizational change management to ensure effective business awareness and adoption of key initiatives.
- Partner with the project management organization (PMO) to ensure a healthy and well-managed portfolio.
- Partner with the enterprise architecture and the strategic delivery lead to develop and maintain multi-year business capability roadmaps.
- Work closely with UIS technical development staff to ensure business requirements and user stories are consumable by the technical development team
- Support system analysis and/or testing during maintenance windows.
- Manage small to medium sized projects with cross functional and technical teams (i.e. new integrations).
- Build and mentor a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and skilled team through recruitment and retention.
- Collaborate with team to communicate career paths, training, and development.
- Provide day to day leadership to the Student Systems team.
- Assist develop technology options, risk assessments, business continuity, and business capability requirements.
- Participate in the Higher Education community and with other Higher Education institutions to share knowledge and ensure CU is subscribing to industry trends and best practices.
- Manage the life cycle of all on-going functional enhancements within the PeopleSoft Campus Solutions & u.Achieve modules to include business analysis, writing functional design specifications, completing system testing, coordinating user acceptance testing, supporting training requirements, system documentation and communication, and coordinating promotion to the production system.
- Manages and supports the Student IT portfolio to ensure the current status is well communicated and delivering business value.
- Ability to listen, build rapport, and credibility as a strategic partner vertically within the business unit, as well as with leadership and functional teams while exercising empathy.
- Ability to establish and manage effective working relationships in a network / matrix environment with other departments, groups, and staff with whom work must be coordinated or interfaced.
- Ability to map joint organizational vision and long-term thinking, imagination, and idea generation.
- Ability to set expectations with business partners and effectively leverage governance for a positive business partner experience.
- Highly skilled and experienced at negotiating conflict and problem-solving.
- Ability to influence and break down silos within an organization as well as across organizations.
- Technical aptitude, requirements management, and the ability to assess and articulate risk variables.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Ability to effect and influence change through a collaborative and inclusive style.
- Knowledge and full understanding of software development lifecycle (SDLC).
- Knowledge and full understanding of software testing methodologies and best practices.
- Knowledge of project management lifecycle.
Who we are:
System Administration, which also houses the Officeof the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with anoffice in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses.However, this position is located in Denver. Many of our departmentssupport the educational and research missions of the four University ofColorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professionaldevelopment, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff andfaculty.
The University of Colorado is committed torecruiting and supporting diversity and equality in education and employment.The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect,communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnicminorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans.
The salary range for this position is $140,000 - $150,000.
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs.
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education. A combination of education, technology training and industry certifications, and related experience may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis.
- Eight (8) years’ experience supporting student administrative functions and systems to include the following:
- Experience in student administration business processes
- Experience leading an application support and operations organization with tangible improvement metrics that have yielded value or efficiencies
- Experience working in a team environment to help prioritize student portfolio needs against other projects and requests
- Experience utilizing best practices and standard processes (such as ITIL) for managing IT operations
- Experience managing complex vendor and contractor relationships
- Four (4) years’ experience including the following:
- Managing personnel, including developing/mentoring direct reports through performance reviews to ensure continuous improvement, high performance and employee retention
- Managing projects, services or processes within a department with proven ability to execute decisions using strategic and tactical skill-sets
- Project manager or functional lead of an Student systems implementation
- Experience with PeopleSoft Campus Solutions v9.2 application
- Previous experience at an institution of Higher Education
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Apr 1, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing