Administrative Assistant - Academic Records
Department:: Academic Records - Registrar
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Apr 1, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Part-time Non-Exempt
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Primary: Associate Registrar
As an integral part of the M Center, the Academic Records Administrative Assistant provides administrative support to the M Center, the Registrar, and Associate Registrar. The Academic Records Administrative Assistant maintains excellent communication between all members of the Records and M Center teams. The duties of the Academic Records Administrative Assistant include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage and process Academic Records forms
- Process Transcript Requests
- Process Enrollment Verification Requests
- Manage records shared email and voicemail; resolve and respond to records inquiries in a timely fashion and flag emails for appropriate records staff
- Serve as Records M Center on-call staff for student drop-in inquiries; answer general questions, take notations, make appointments with records staff
- Provide support for Academic Standing Committee petition process; coordinate preparation of petitions for review, advise students on process and petition requirements, prepare meeting agenda
- Assist with Orientation, Commencement and Registration
- Maintain inventory of office supplies
- Oversee the Mills extension credit programs
- Support cross registration program
- Perform records related data entry
- Perform related duties as needed
- Bachelor's degree preferred
Our ideal candidate would have:
- One to three years' prior administrative experience in higher education.
- Political acumen and sensitivities to the differing perspectives at all levels of the College
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Familiarity with campus processes, protocols and procedures.
- Working knowledge of federal regulations such as FERPA.
Required Skills, Abilities and Knowledge:
- Commitment to Mills College's mission and demonstrated ability to create and sustain a an organizational climate and sustain effective working relationships based on inclusion, social justice and equity
- Strong professional ethics and discretion with an attitude of respect for all persons in the Mills community.
- Ability to exhibit strong customer service orientation for all levels of College constituencies and members of the public
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes. Time-management is essential to this position.
- Motivation to seek information from other offices and complete tasks with little direction. Must be a self-starter.
- One to 2 years experience in an administrative position.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Knowledge of modern office procedures; correct English usage and grammar; recordkeeping; basic research techniques
- Intermediate knowledge of database software and MS Word; basic knowledge of MS Excel, internet browsers and email usage
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with integrated educational database preferred
- Experience working in higher education
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- Work involves considerable sitting time at desk/computer, but also entails moving about the building and campus to obtain/deliver materials and meet with people.
- Interruptions and interactions with others are common, especially when school is in session.
- Most work is conducted during the regular workweek.
- Managing multiple competing deadlines are a routine part of the work.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position with an FTE of 0.53. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 10 pro-rated days of vacation for year one, 15 pro-rated days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 pro-rated days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 pro-rated sick days and 17 pro-rated paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter and
- Contact Information for 3 References
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.