Biology Adjunct Instructor
Posting DetailsPosition Information Rank Adjunct Term Length Varies Position Status Part Time Position Title Biology Adjunct Instructor Campus Chicago - Michigan Ave. If other, please specify
We have openings in Wheeling, IL and in Chicago, IL – Loop.Position Summary
National Louis University’s Undergraduate College is seeking Biology Adjunct Instructors to join our team, beginning in fall term (September 2019), to instruct: SCI 102 Survey of Biological Science with Lab.
Who we are:
We are a team of dedicated educators who have been working together to build an amazing new Instructional Model that supports first-generation students with a focus on the holistic student. This undergraduate experience is in its fourth year serving students at National Louis University. We have grown consistently each year and next year we will serve over a thousand students, with an anticipated 600 new Freshmen next year! We work fearlessly to educate and retain our students. As a result, we have exceeded national benchmarks through our approach to appreciative advising and data-driven, personalized instruction. Our educational model is student-focused, expects excellence, provides personalized support in a data-driven environment, while grounded by pillars of continuous improvement and innovation to structure our work.
Who you are:
You are: Driven to Succeed.
You are energetic and passionate about a diverse student body that includes many first-generation students. To be successful teaching in this program, you must be committed to excellence in teaching and learning in Higher Education. The position requires you to be agile, creative and engaging while offering a new curriculum and an unparalleled experience to undergraduate students. Enthusiastic candidates have the belief that all students can be successful students. As an active team member, you believe in a supportive environment and a student-driven culture.
You will: Offer Best-in-Class Teaching and Learning.
You believe that your work has demonstrated your respect for education and the power that it holds. Each term, you will facilitate blended classes that utilize technology and data to drive instruction. You will work with a dedicated team of Coaches and Instructors, Content Experts and Data Analysts to determine how to personalize the learning experience for your students. In addition to teaching content, you will also encourage growth mindset, increase non-cognitive skill development and nurture academic confidence.
You are ready to: Make an Impact.
Each and every day National Louis University changes lives. You want to be a part of that meaningful innovation. You are someone that will always look for creative ways for students to earn success. We know this work is challenging, but we are in it together.
UGC CORE COMPETENCIES
- Ownership and Quality of Work: Effectively manages own work, ensuring timely delivery of high-quality work within a fast paced environment.
- Organizational Commitment: Passionate, energetic, and driven to make a difference; Acts with honesty, integrity, and professionalism; Self-reflective, focused on development, and makes regular progress on development areas; Learns from mistakes and setbacks; Is adaptable and welcomes change
- Upward Management: Engages at appropriate level with supervisor in defining desired outcomes, providing status updates, and obtaining input as to ongoing project direction and process; Keeps commitments and meets deadlines without the need for reminders; Proactively shares information in a timely manner.
- Collaboration: Works with colleagues, from across the organization, toward achieving common goals by sharing knowledge, learning, and building consensus. Proactively identifies relevant stakeholders and engages colleagues as needed to achieve goals.
- Communication: Uses effective written and oral communication with internal staff, teams, community served, and partners; demonstrates empathy and listening.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND/OR RESPONSIBILITIES
Demonstrate excellence in teaching:
- Collaborate with faculty team to develop an effective student experience for students.
- Facilitate courses by delivering engaging instruction in a blended, flipped classroom environment.
- Empower students to develop competency by sharing a passion for the subject and skills being taught.
- Utilize technology-based teaching platforms, including but not limited to an adaptive courseware engine to aid students in the development of competencies.
- Communicate professionally and relate well.
Demonstrate, maintain, and continuously strengthen content expertise:
- Maintain current and active content knowledge in the expertise area that is reflected in instruction.
- Possess appropriate expertise as demonstrated by appropriate credentials.
- Maintain current knowledge of field.
- Demonstrate and share a passion for postsecondary success for diverse learners and for teaching.
- Demonstrate flexibility in delivery and work schedule to provide personalized student support (includes but is not limited to office hours).
- Identify gaps between student needs and existing resources and services; generate creative resolutions.
- Significant on-campus presence on days when not teaching.
Promote student success with a proactive, high expectations, high support approach:
Engage in data-driven instruction and student support planning:
- Track student course data weekly in multiple university data systems as needed.
- Engage in regular data-driven planning meetings with faculty, coaches and support specialists to report student progress and obstacles and to plan student support interventions.
- Engage in regular content area team meetings with peer faculty to review curriculum plans, determine implications of student data, and plan curriculum revisions.
- Participate in continuous improvement of UGC curriculum.
- Actively document and share suggestions for curriculum revision with content area lead faculty to support ongoing revision/enhancement of UGC curriculum.
Commit to continuous improvement of self and colleagues (i.e., professional development):
- Create, attend and actively participate in training opportunities provided in online and in-person settings.
- Contribute to a learning culture by participating on committees, supporting local campus events such as orientation and graduation, and participating in various other workshops and meetings.
- Participate in faculty governance related to college and/or university operations and improvement.
- Passionate about working with a highly diverse student body.
- Excellent facilitation and classroom management skills.
- Agile and creative in pedagogy and student support.
- Prepared, yet flexible.
- Empathetic, yet structured.
- Ability to differentiate instruction and support based on student needs.
- Ability to consistently connect instruction to its real world relevance, tying in concepts and theories in the classroom to students’ current and future work experiences and highlighting immediate applicability.
- Willing to pursue and support students in multiple modalities.
- Technology proficient, including experience with digital tools for teaching, and teaching in either online or blended/hybrid formats.
- Willing and able to use data to inform instruction.
- Effective adult collaboration skills, able to work in teams to support student success.
- Experience using a learning management system.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experienced educators who EXPECT and DESIRE to grow pedagogically
Experience and/or Education
- Master’s degree or higher in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Physiology, Ecology, Life Sciences, or closely related field; Or Master’s degree; and 18 graduate semester hours in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Physiology, Ecology, Life Sciences, or closely related field.
- Experience with digital tools for teaching, teaching in either online or blended/hybrid formats, and teaching to students of diverse backgrounds and abilities strongly preferred.
- Spanish-English bilingual or experience teaching English Language Learners a plus
Please attach scanned or downloaded copies of official transcripts for all graduate and terminal degrees completed and for all relevant graduate coursework. Official documentation from the university(ies) via mail or e-transcript may be required if approved to teach any course(s).Quick Link for Internal Postings http://jobs.nl.edu/postings/5094 Supplemental Questions (HR Only)
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you legally eligible for employment in USA?
- Do you have previous experience in secondary or higher education?
- Are you available to teach weekday daytime classes on campus?
- Do you have experience with digital tools for teaching, teaching in either online or blended/hybrid formats ?
- What is the highest degree you've earned at an accredited institution of higher education?
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Doctoral Degree (PhD, EdD, EdS, JD, DBA, etc.)
- Transcript A
- Cover Letter
- Transcript B
- Transcript C
- Teaching Philosophy