Adjunct Instructor, Mathematics
Posting DetailsPosition Summary Information Job Summary / Basic Function
Provides instruction for students enrolled in Mathematics and/or Developmental Mathematics courses in the General Education & Developmental Studies department. Must be competent to teach college-level Mathematics courses and/or developmental Mathematics courses. This faculty member will be required to assign one assignment in each college-level course that is part of the Core Curriculum Assessment.
Major Essential Job Functions:
•Teach courses as scheduled
•Maintain one office hour per week/per course.
•Attend adjunct faculty meetings
•Assess courses on departmental and institutional levels
• Participate in assessment activities for the LIT Core Curriculum
•Be willing to develop skills necessary to teach online courses.
•Complete Basic Blackboard Certification
•Complete Title IX training
•Must have reliable transportation for travel to assigned instructional sites
•Attend Teaching and Learning Center to upgrade teaching skills
•Other duties as assigned
Secondary Essential Job Functions:
Additional duties may include tutoring, student counseling, and working with advisory committees. Use of technologies such as Blackboard, Starfish and Banner is required. Teaching assignments may include day, evening, weekend, and summer classes on the LIT campuses and at our Early College High School campuses in Beaumont and/or Silsbee.
Other Duties as Assigned:
Other duties may be assigned to this position on a regular or occasional basis to respond to needs of the Institute.
Minimum Education Required:
A Master’s Degree in Mathematics or Master’s Degree with 18 graduate hours in Mathematics from a regionally accredited institution is required. A Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics with teaching experience may be considered to teach Developmental Mathematics courses only.
Minimum Experience Required:
A working knowledge in Microsoft Office Applications is required. Community college or technical college teaching experience in Mathematics is preferred.
•Knowledge of teaching methodologies/pedagogical strategies.
•Actively engage students in the learning process.
•Ability to work well in a team environment.
•Good verbal and written communication skills
•Good time management skills
•Ethical and professional behavior
•Awareness of national issues and trends in education and related field
•Ability to use computers for email, word documents and basic spreadsheets
•Knowledge of policies and procedures contained in TSUS and LIT Policies and Procedures Manual
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The job conditions described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment with moderate noise.
Lamar Institution of Technology Expectation of Quality:
Employee will support the mission of Lamar Institute of Technology by providing high quality, professional services, timely responses and solutions to customer requests.
Lamar Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Preferred Qualifications
Community college or technical college teaching experience in Mathematics is preferred.
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.Salary Commensurate Work Hours Application Details Open Date 04/01/2019 Open Until Filled Yes Close Date Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly. As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? If claiming Veteran's Preference, you MUST immediately email to [email protected] your specific supporting documentation at the time of application. Your email MUST also include your name, position number, job title and the department for each position you are applying for. Documents received after a position closes will not be accepted.FAILURE TO EMAIL THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED DOCUMENTS PER THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY IMPACT VETERAN'S PREFERENCEAcceptable documents include:(1) DD Form 214 (member 4 copy)(2) Dept of Veteran's Affairs Verification of Disability Benefits Letter if claiming a service related disability(3) DD Form 1300 to include qualifying Death, Birth, and Marriage Certificates if claiming surviving spouse/orphan.Who is eligible for Veteran's Preference under the law? (1) a veteran, including a veteran with a disability (2) a surviving spouse of a veteran killed on active duty who has not remarried (3) an orphan of a veteran if the veteran was killed while on active duty
- * Do you have a Master's degree in Mathematics or a Master's degree with a minimum of 18 graduate hours in Mathematics?
- * How many years of experience do you have managing a Microsoft network?
- More than 5
- * How many years of experience do you have teaching at the Community College or Technical College level?
- 6 or more
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript 1