Office of Business Affairs
Summary: The West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM) seeks applicants for an Accountant. The incumbent shall provide guidance and service that affects many employees and students. Decisions and recommendations involve non-routine situations within established protocol, guidelines, and policies. This position reports to the Financial Manager.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Handle the Vice President’s requisitions.
- Handle the VP’s appointment schedule
- Brings to the VP’s attention critical problems needing immediate action.
- Assist with coordination of events, meetings, and conferences for the department, or others as assigned.
- Conducts special studies and investigations by researching all pertinent information and prepares reports for VP
- Serve as primary approver for documents in WVOasis, a statewide ERP system
- Assists with budget adjustments in Banner, WVSOM’s ERP system
- Assists with the budget compilation and data entry in Banner and WVOasis
- Other duties as assigned or directed.
- Post, examine, analyze, and reconcile accounting records in preparation for financial statements creation.
- Daily post deposits, transfers, and corrections in Banner. Examine and analyze accounting records for accuracy of funds, accounts and/or spending units posted. If errors, then will research document and determine correct posting of document.
- Maintain Banner interfaces: payroll/manual/completion/Pcard.
- Assist/Backup Financial Reporting Manager with:
Prepare interim and annual financial statements:Statement of Net Assets (SNA); Statement of Revenue, Expenses & Changes in Net Assets (SRECNA); Statement of Cash Flows; footnote information; Pro Forma preparation.Banner Year-end processes: general ledger roll, encumbrances roll, open new periods, set up new funds as needed; Maintain GASB attributes; Year-end reporting for bookstore, fixed assets, grants, student loan. Work with external auditors to gather information needed for audit, financial statements and/or any other requests during the fiscal year.Reconciles all funds with WV Our Advanced Solution with Integrated Systems (WVOASIS) accounting ; IPEDS (Integrated Postsecondary Education Data Systems) reporting; AACOM (American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine) reporting;
- Monthly reconcile Fixed Assets in Banner Finance to Banner Fixed Asset Module.
- Monitors fixed asset purchases/projects for capitalization.
- Creates transfers documents to move fixed asset expenses incorrectly posted.
- Approves pcard purchase requests for proper accounting string posting.
- Monthly reconcile Banner accounting with WVOASIS accounting by comparing WVOASIS Account Status report, Trial Balance Summary report, and Document History report to Banner Reconciliation report.
Education and Experience
- Successful candidate will have an earned Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, or related field.
- Administrative Support/Office Management; Two years
- Database Experience Required (ERP Systems Strongly Preferred); Two years
- Computer Software Experience, including MS Office Suite and databases; Two years
- Budget Experience Preferred; Two years
- Customer Service Experience; Two years
A combination of recent and relevant education and experience may also be considered for this position.
- Ability to learn and to apply effectively the policies, procedures and guidelines affecting the institution, with demonstrated ability to interpret and apply solid judgment, discretion and initiative in performing a variety of complex administrative tasks.
- Ability to problem-solve and work independently is vital to this position.
- Experience with ERP software applications, or equivalent.
- Ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy to internal and external customers utilizing excellent verbal and written skills.
- Must be proficient in using Microsoft software including Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and preparation of governmental financial statements.
- Knowledge of Governmental Accounting Standards Board standards (GASB) and Government Auditing Standards (GAS).
- Knowledge of accounting entries in a Banner software system and ability to extract data for analysis.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products, such as Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of Crystal Reporting software or other database access query report building software.
- Ability to work independently on planning, organizing and setting priorities to accomplish the task at hand to meet required deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to draft accounting and processing procedures based on operational needs and institutional policies.
- Ability to quickly learn the WVOASIS accounting system and the modules of integration (payroll, purchasing card, completion file, and manual interface of transactions).
- Knowledge of fixed assets accounting.
- Must have the ability to construct professional and highly confidential correspondence within deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with records as this position handles sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to deal with others in person to person relations with an understanding of organizational, state and national structures is essential.
- Ability to coordinate large scale projects and see them to completion, as well as ensure continuation/upkeep of projects.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize many different administrative tasks, determine relative importance of each, set deadlines, and complete projects in a timely manner.
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining a positive, professional, friendly environment.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships among all levels of employees within an organization.
This is a full-time, non-classified position; it is exempt from FLSA regulations concerning overtime. Base salary of the position is $29,500 though commensurate with education and experience, plus a full state benefits package.
Weekly schedule is typically 8:00am – 4:30pm, though the weekly schedule for this position will be established between the supervisor and the employee and approved given the needs of the department and the institution. This position has been designated as Essential. This means that when WVSOM is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover and continue operations at WVSOM.
Candidates should apply for this position online at http://www.wvsom.edu/employment
Applications are considered confidential and references are not contacted until later in the search process. The search committee will begin its review of applications upon receipt and the search will remain open until the position is filled.
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to enhancing diversity among its faculty and staff.