American Sign Language Instructor, Part-Time (non-credit)
Community College of Philadelphia
Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission, associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer, employment and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry and the professions.
The goal of TRIO Upward Bound is to increase college enrollment and graduation rates for students from low-income households or from homes where neither parent has earned a bachelor's degree. The program provides academic support, emotional encouragement and assistance with the college application and financial aid process as a means of overcoming social barriers to higher education.
The TRIO Upward Bound Program at the Community College of Philadelphia is in search of an experienced, energetic instructor to facilitate a 5-week introductory class in American Sign Language.
• As a part-time faculty member within the TRIO Upward Bound Program, this instructor will provide instruction in American Sign Language to high school age students.
• The class will be held at the main campus of the Community College of Philadelphia Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays beginning Monday, June 24 and ending Wednesday, July 24 2019. There are two sections of the class, each one hour long with approximately 20 students per class. Classes begin at 1:00 p.m. and end at 3:00 p.m. 2 hours per day x 3 days per week = 6 hours a week for 5 weeks.Minimum Qualifications
• A Bachelor's Degree in American Sign Language, or a High School Diploma/GED and fluent in ASL.
• Teaching experience, preferably in a high school setting.
Special Instructions to Applicants
• Interested persons should complete an online application.
• Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
• Names and contact information of 3 professional referenced REQUIRED.
• The position will close on Friday, April 15, 2019.
• Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
• Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of background checks in accordance with the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law.
Community College of Philadelphia is an affirmative action, equal opportunity and equal access employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally under-represented groups. AA/EOE.
Salary Grade or Rank
$35.00 an hour