Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner, UVA Department of Student Health and Wellness
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2019-03-28
The University of Virginia Department of Student Health & Wellness, Counseling and Psychological Services is seeking a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. This position is a 24-hour per week salaried position with partial benefits during the academic year (nine months ongoing).
The individual will be responsible for providing comprehensive psychiatric assessments for purposes of diagnostic assessment, medication evaluation, treatment planning, and medication management of patients seen through CAPS. The individual will also work collaboratively with CAPS psychiatrists, psychotherapists, nurse practitioners, and care managers in rendering psychiatrically oriented treatment, crisis intervention and case management to UVA students.
Individual must have:
- Master's Degree in Psychiatric Mental Health nursing from an accredited School of Nursing;
- National certification as an NP;
- Current registered nurse license and an NP license to practice in the State of Virginia;
- Current Prescriptive Authority from the State Board of Nursing;
- Current prescriptive authority number as issued by the Virginia Boards; and
- Federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) number.
Also required: 5+ years’ experience in advanced practice roles within community and/or University mental health/counseling services; experience working with young adults; and experience working with full spectrum of psychiatric diagnoses, eating disorders, bipolar disorder, and psychotic disorders. The individual must show a demonstrated competency in the areas of psychiatric diagnostic evaluation, medication evaluation, ongoing medication follow-up prescription, crises management, case management, clinical consultation, collaborative co-treatment with multidisciplinary mental health clinicians, and ethical decision-making. The ability to ensure compliance with appropriate regulatory requirements and provide the highest quality psychiatric care to patients and their families is essential. The ability to develop and maintain partnerships with multidisciplinary mental health clinicians to achieve quality care is required. In addition, strong communication skills, both written and verbal; critical analysis skills; problem solving skills and prioritization/time management skills are required. The applicant must possess a working knowledge of Microsoft office.
Upload the following materials at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs (Requisition number R0004527), be sure to attach each file:
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for three references
For questions regarding the position or application process contact Michele Jarman, Academic Recruiter, [email protected] The anticipated hiring range for this position is $57,000-$62,000 (.6 FTE, 9 month), commensurate with education and experience. The position is contingent on passing a criminal background check and drug screen, and verification of certifications and licensures.
Responsibilities and Duties
Provide Psychiatric Assessment and Treatment
• Provide comprehensive psychiatric assessments for purposes of diagnostic evaluations, treatment planning and medication management of patients seen through CAPS.
• See patients for ongoing psychiatric care including medication prescribing and monitoring.
• Meet all standards of clinical care set forth through Student Health Policies and Procedures.
• Receive adequate extent of positive ratings on CAPS patient satisfaction questionnaires.
• Adhere to Nurse Practitioner/Physician Collaborative Practice Agreement Standards, including collaboration and consultation with physician(s) named in collaborative practice agreement, especially for urgent care cases where second opinion is appropriate.
Medical Record Management, Department Administrative Functions, and Provision of Clinical Training
• Keep timely and sufficient medical records and participate collegially in departmental administrative functions.
• Use Student Health & Wellness electronic medical record for documentation of clinical care.
• Meet minimum standards on departmental peer review processes.
• Engage in administrative work pertaining to job functions.
Work Collaboratively with CAPS Providers and Student Health & Wellness Professionals
• Work collaboratively in co-treatment of patients with other CAPS and Student Health and Wellness providers.
• Participate in treatment team meetings.
• Meet individually with non-psychiatric CAPS providers and other Student Health & Wellness providers on an as-needed basis.
• Work collaboratively with all professionals and administrators in Student Health & Wellness.
• Attend Student Health & Wellness/CAPS departmental meetings as required.
• Attend weekly CAPS Psychiatry meeting.
• Maintain positive relationships with coworkers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Perform psychiatric mental health (PMH) independent professional advanced practice nursing duties in accordance with established policies, procedures and the ANA PMH Standards of Practice.
• Consistently demonstrate competencies of advanced practice in PMH Nursing: assessment, counseling, treatment, case management, consultation, clinical and professional leadership, collaboration, ethical decision-making, expert coaching and guiding.
• Ensure compliance with appropriate regulatory requirements.
• Ensure that the highest quality nursing care is provided to patients and their families.
• Develop and maintains partnerships with clinicians, physicians and administrators to achieve quality care.
• Demonstrate strong communication skills, both written and verbal; critical analysis skills; problem solving skills and prioritization/time management skills.