TRIO Upward Bound Advisor
Job Title: TRIO Upward Bound Advisor
Division: TRIO/Upward Bound East
Location: Aurora, IL (East Aurora High School)
Grant Funded: Yes
Employment Type: Full-time Support Staff
Compensation Range: 20.24 - 20.24, starting pay, prior experience will be considered
Compensation Type: Hourly
Work Schedule: M-F 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Other Work Schedule Details: Schedule adjusted for monthly evening or weekend activities.
Work Hours: 40
The Educational Advisor for the Upward Bound Program reports to the TRIO Upward Bound Manager and is responsible for advising students, providing academic support, developing and delivering academic programing, management of the student information database as well as provides administrative support for the TRIO Upward Bound Manager.
- Assist in the planning, organization, and implementation of the Upward Bound academic year and summer program component.
- Oversee the Upward Bound classroom and / or after-school site in the absence of the TRIO Upward Manager or Educational Specialist.
- Provide advising services to students, including academic, course selection, college selection, admissions, and financial aid.
- Collaborate with Upward Bound staff to plan and deliver academic activities, topical workshops, and college readiness group discussions.
- Assist in the development of the college readiness curriculum.
- Track and assist alumni with college persistence and completion.
- Review new student applications to determine eligibility and explain the program to students and families.
- Assist with the new student intake process.
- Serve as the regular point of contact with high school personnel and WCC staff for non-emergency issues.
- Maintain confidentiality of student records and assist with updating the student information database, and auditing of student records.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of off-campus college visits and cultural enrichment activities.
- Remain current on High School, Advanced Placement, and Dual Credit course offerings.
- Conduct outreach presentations at schools and community organizations to identify and recruit eligible students.
- Become familiar with students’ academic history, schedule, and personal/family situations as appropriate.
- Monitor and analyze student participation and performance data; recommend and initiate academic intervention strategies.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the TRIO Upward Bound Manager.
Documents to be attached:
Special Instructions to Applicants: The final candidate will be subject to a motor vehicle record check, fingerprinting and criminal background check. Transcripts may be provided at interview.
Targeted Hire Date: 4/15/2019
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in education or related field preferred.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in the secondary or post-secondary education field.
- Experience working with students from low income communities and or first generation college students.
- Experience developing and delivering academic and college readiness workshops.
- Experience providing academic advising and assisting with the college admissions and financial aid process.
- Strong knowledge of college admissions and financial aid process.
- Ability to problem solve and follow through with projects.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and human relations skills required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Social Media platforms, and Google Drive.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving history required.
- Spanish/English bilingual ability preferred.