Head Men's Basketball Coach/Physical Education Professor
The College of the Sequoias Community College District is seeking a candidate to fill a full-time, tenure-track position in the Physical Education/Athletics Department as a Head Men's Basketball Coach/Physical Education Professor beginning August 2019. The starting base salary range for this position ranges between $64,795.00 and $85,427.00 (depending upon education and experience). This amount will increase if you teach overload and/or summer school. For the current full-time faculty salary schedule and your earning potential, please visit: https://www.cos.edu/en-us/Human-Resources/Documents/Salary%20Schedule%20-%20Faculty.pdf.
COS prides itself on having administrative and community support for its basketball program. COS is looking for a coach/instructor to build on the success of the past by running a successful program both on and off the court. COS wants this to happen by bringing in quality student-athletes that we can all be proud of on campus and in our community. We are looking for our coach to put the best of interest of our student-athletes first and help them develop in the classroom and on the court.
Interviews for this position will be on May 16, 2019 and May 17, 2019.
College of the Sequoias Community College District serves a diverse community of learners and is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution. COS provides a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, career and technical programs for our students. We are dedicated to recruiting faculty who are committed to helping a diverse population of students achieve their educational goals. We seek candidates who exhibit an understanding and commitment to the community college mission, and who have a passion for student success.
Duties of the Head Men's Basketball Coach/Physical Education Professor include:
- Serving as Head Coach for the Men's Basketball program. Duties as head coach include taking an active interest in the student-athletes academic endeavors, recruiting, practice planning, off season conditioning, scheduling of competitions, and other duties associated with being the head coach.
- Teaching courses within the division which may include physical education activity courses, health and wellness courses, and intercollegiate athletic courses.
- Instruct and assist in the growth and success of a diverse population of students through careful preparation of course materials, effective teaching methodologies and informed critical feedback on assignments and discussions.
- Develop culturally relevant course content, culturally responsive pedagogical techniques, and effective practices for engaging students who are diverse and/or are students who are historically underserved. The ideal candidate should have experience in this area with African American, Latino, and other disproportionately impacted students.
- Work cooperatively with staff and students.
- Active participation in departmental duties including attending department meetings, campus committee involvement, and all other functions relating to the assignment.
- The position includes assignments in the evenings and weekends for the men's basketball program and/or teaching assignments.
The candidate must meet the following criteria. The degree must generally be from an institution accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges or the equivalent.
- Master's in physical education, exercise science, education with an emphasis in physical education, kinesiology, physiology of exercise or adaptive physical education
- Bachelor's in any of the above
- Master's in any life science, dance, physiology, health education, recreation administration or physical therapy
- the equivalent.
Your equivalency paperwork must be submitted as a "supplemental attachment" with the "attachment section of this application.
- Teaching experience at the adult, secondary and/or postsecondary level within the area of assignment.
- Ability to coordinate and direct an academic support plan for the student-athlete population served in the Men's Basketball Program.
- Evidence of successful basketball coaching experience.
- Ability to coordinate an off season strength and conditioning program for men's basketball student-athletes.
- Demonstrated ability in recruitment, practice and event organization, budget management, and fundraising.
- Commitment to taking an active role in the student learning outcome process and participatory governance structures at the Sequoias Community College District.
- Experience in and/or a commitment to working with students from diverse cultural, ethnic, socioeconomic, academic and disability backgrounds.
- Ability to participate in collaborative relationships with students, faculty, and staff.
- Experience in and/or having an interest in contemporary instructional methods.
To be considered applicants must submit ALL of the following required material before or by the filing deadline:
- Online COS application
- Diversity Statement (included in the Supplemental Questions)
- Letter of interest (Cover Letter), which addresses the Desirable Qualifications.
- Unofficial copies of transcripts of college/university work. (If transcripts are not in English, include a summary of courses and grades). Official transcripts are required upon employment.
- Equivalency documents (if necessary)
- Two (2) recent letters of recommendation addressing pertinent experience or equivalent competencies. If submitting confidential recommendations letters from a third party please forward letters to email@example.com. Please do not submit a reference list in lieu of letters of recommendations.
Recruitment Analyst: John Bratsch (559)730-3830
*Partial reimbursement for travel costs may be available for applicants traveling more than 200 miles for an interview.