Continuing Education Foreign Language Instructors
Department:: Continuing Education
Locations:: Skokie, IL
Posted:: Mar 25, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Part Time Faculty
About Oakton Community College :
For over 40 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Continuing Education Foreign Language Instructors (E.g., Arabic, Italian, and Russian)
Non-Credit Teaching Positions - Summer 2019 and beyond
Instructors with the Oakton Community College ALL Language Academy are responsible for teaching courses that are focused on conversation and cultural exploration, and correlated informally with the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) speaking guidelines.
This position requires availability to teach in the evening and/or on the weekends*. Yes
This position requires availability to teach on both the Des Plaines, Skokie, and off-site locations *. Yes
This position requires availability to teach online in whole or in part*. No
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Construction of a course syllabus, consistent with the generic course outline (as needed)
- Preparation of course presentations and instructional materials (as appropriate)
- Delivery of instruction, including being prepared for and meeting courses and laboratories (if appropriate) at scheduled times
- Compliance with departmental and institutional policies and procedures including but not limited to submission of midterm and final grades
- Compliance with institutional procedures
- Master's degree in relevant field
- 2+ years relevant experience, including the area of curriculum development
- Ability to work with adult students who wish to learn a foreign language
- Teach foreign language courses to evening, continuing education students at remote location
- Awareness and knowledge of learning styles and strategies to address such variety
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy including the ability to use online tools to supplement teaching and facilitate email access
- Enthusiasm for teaching and learning of the discipline area
- Willingness to support the goals of the Continuing Education division and create effective learning environments for diverse populations of students
- Master's degree in the content area
- 5+ years relevant experience
Schedule: courses are offered on weeknights, from 7-9:00pm
Pay Rate: $30/hr.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.