Vice President for Advancement
Reports to: The University President
The vice president will work closely with the President and the other members of the University’s Senior Leadership. The Vice President will lead a team of approximately 15 professionals in the Office of Advancement, responsible for the areas of alumni relations and engagement, development and special events. Following and building on the success of the University’s largest and most successful campaign, Campaign North Park, the University in the last year has embarked on several new fundraising initiatives with targeted goals and targeted outcomes to enhance the mission and future of the University. These include a focused campaign on seminary facilities and a new initiative to raise scholarship funds to recruit new students in specific areas of opportunity and need. A primary goal of the division also is success in raising funds for annual giving through The North Park Fund.
- Work with and for the President in successful advancement of the mission of the University.
- Serve as a member of the President’s Senior Administrative Team
- Lead the Office of Advancement with particular focus on office operations and support in raising funds for the stated priorities and financial needs of the University
- Develop and successfully execute a long range, aggressive strategic plan for University Advancement, supporting the overall strategic needs of the University
- Develop effective relationships with the University’s alumni and friends
- Maintain and develop a focused personal portfolio of individual prospects and donors
- Supporting the President in her work with major and principal gift cultivation and generation
- Manage a staff of 15 advancement professionals, supervising the creation of annual operational plans, identifying tangible goals, measurable outcomes, and evaluations of managing effective personnel and plans
- Attend University Board meetings and service as University liaison to the Advancement Committee of the Board, including, in conjunction with the Chair of the Committee, developing an agenda and relevant materials for review at such meetings.
- Provide the general leadership and vision for a collaborative team of professionals and paraprofessionals through the hiring, training and direct supervision of personnel.
- Work closely with the Assistant Vice President of Human Resources as it relates to hiring, employee relations and personnel protocols.
- Oversee a healthy annual budget and closely supervise budget managers to direct and monitor spending within the established University policies.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of ten years of successful advancement experience, preferably with significant experience in higher education
- Proven track record in leading staff toward effective performance
- A broad understanding of the various roles, functions and responsibilities of the various units within a comprehensive university advancement division Ability to serve and add value to the senior leadership of the University
- Effective and persuasive communication skills and the ability to initiate and nurture highly effective interpersonal relationship with individual trustees, prospects and donors
- Maintain effective relationships with other units and division across the University
- Work with major gift staff of advancement to develop strategies and plans for solicitation of individual, corporate and foundation prospects
- Travel on behalf of the University and Advancement goals
- Ability to effective analyze complex and sensitive cultivations and solicitations scenarios to successful execution and closure
- Ability to lead the professional staff with a sense of confidence and candor, challenging them to meet aspirational goals and outcomes
- Creating within the division a commitment to team unity and success while allowing for praise of individual performance contributing to such success
- An understanding of, and personal commitment to North Park’s mission of Christian higher education.
Effective date: 2019
NOTE: Nothing in this job description restricts the supervisor’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.