Program Assistant, Continuing Education
Program Assistant, Continuing Education
Job Number: 922
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Continuing Education, Staff
Position Title & Department:Program Assistant, Continuing EducationPosting #
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.Detailed Description:
The Program Assistant/Senior Program Assistant provides support to all individuals seeking information, enrollment and assistance with any course, program and degree offered through Professional and Continuing Education. This position requires excellent communication skills for a fast-paced office environment that supports the enrollment and learning needs of students and prospective students. Must possess the ability to handle multiple tasks, requests, and web-based information tools in a calm and effective manner. This position requires a detail-oriented, independent worker who has the ability to collaborate and contribute in a team environment. The Program Assistant/Senior Program Assistant will answer a busy, multi-line telephone; take registrations for courses and other related items over the phone, the Internet and in person. Other related duties may include: process registrations, organize both incoming and outgoing mail, process student transcript requests, order office supplies, and stock all office machines (fax, copier and printers). Must have excellent spelling and grammar skills. The Program Assistant/Senior Program Assistant must have excellent customer service, organizational and communication skills. Proven ability using computers for business applications, including word-processing, spreadsheets, data management and administrative systems software. Customer/student support experience preferred. Supervision received from the Director of Enrollment, Student Services, and IT.
Process daily enrollments, student course requests and transcript requests
- Enrolls or assists students to enroll in PCE courses via telephone, and in person on a daily basis.
- Processes student requests for course transfers and drops, which may include refund processing.
- Processes all transcript requests, handles mail requests, responsible for printing and mailing on a daily basis.
- Updates students’ personal information, e.g., name, address, telephone, social security number and email address, to ensure current and accurate student records.
- Adds registrations to the enrollment system.
- Processes general information requests received via email, telephone or in person. Replies to email requests with appropriate information, or redirects as needed.
Customer service, student support, prospective student service, general public communications
- Answers incoming telephone calls, including local, long-distance and toll-free calls. This requires management of a multiline telephone system.
- Serves as front-line information center to respond to and service calls.
- Records and manages student communications in multiple web-based customer relationship and student information systems.
- Redirects calls to proper individuals if calls cannot be immediately serviced when answered.
- Checks and redirects voicemail. Returns calls for questions that can be addressed and handled by the Student Service Center.
- Handles confidential and sensitive information with discretion and tact.
- Responds to all inquiries (telephone, Internet, email, walk-in) with courtesy, tact and patience.
- Exhaust all avenues to properly respond to student, prospective student other individual requests from general public about all courses, programs and activities of Professional and Continuing Education.
General Duties (as needed)
- Serves as office lead for ordering all supplies with university-approved vendors.
- Responsible for stocking all office machines, including fax, copiers and printers.
- Orders appropriate supplies as needed.
- Responsible for opening, sorting and distributing all incoming office mail.
- Serves as division liaison with campus Mail Center.
- Updates and maintains some division mailing lists.
- Prints mailing address labels for use by instructors to mail brochures and flyers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications:
- Requires HS Diploma plus two years related experience. A bachelor’s degree is preferred; college education may substitute for experience at the rate of 2 years education = 1 year experience. Minimum of one year in a position that required critical thinking and analytical skills required.
- At least 1 year experience in customer service.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Excellent spelling and grammar skills.
- Demonstrated ability to use web-based student information and customer relationship
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Effectively respond to PCE calls and emails with information requested.
- Service student requests for enrollments, transfers, and drops.
- Process refunds, transcripts and certificates.
- Manages multiple requests from a variety of communications channels.
- Maintains high levels of efficiency when using data systems and data formats.
- Develop a working knowledge and use of the student enrollment system(s) and the CRM system.
- Stay informed of continuing program and course developments within PCE.
- Collaborate and support other team members in assigned area.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.Posting Salary:
$18.00 - $19.00 per hour; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]Additional Details:
Hours: 40 hours per week; Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00pm
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: March 21, 2019 Pacific Daylight Time