Product Discovery Undergraduate Intern, Research
MassBiologics | Medicine for Better Lives
Product Discovery Intern
MassBiologics, located in Boston, is the only non-profit, FDA-licensed manufacturer of vaccines in the United States. For over 100 years, MassBiologics has worked to improve public health through applied research, development and production of biologic products, including vaccines, plasma derivatives and most recently, monoclonal antibodies. MassBiologics currently manufactures Tetanus and Diphtheria Toxoids, Adsorbed (Td) vaccine and distribute nationwide. For more information about MassBiologics visit our website www.MassBiologics.org
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
In this role, you will be assisting the Product Discovery group in our goal of discovering new antibodies for the treatment of human disease by performing general lab maintenance and upkeep. Additionally, you will assist our Cell Culture group in developing suspension CHO cells lines that are optimal for generating stable antibody producing cells.Responsibilities
- Assist with preparation of various buffers and cell media.
- Maintain and passage cells lines using proper aseptic technique.
- Determine cell growth rates and antibody production rates.
- Conduct regular laboratory housekeeping duties such as autoclaving glassware, cleaning hoods and incubators, and maintaining inventory of laboratory supplies.
Depending on project direction, you may obtain hands on training with the following mammalian cell culture or molecular biology techniques that are widely used in biopharmaceutical industry:
- Cell count determination
- Cell viability determination
- Antibody concentration determination
- Aseptic technique
- DNA extraction
- Polymerase chain reaction
- Gel electrophoresis
- Training with various analytical equipment
- Bachelor’s degree in progress or Technical Training certificate or Associate’s degree in Biology, Biotechnology, or related discipline.
- Hands on experience in a biology or chemistry laboratory. Ability to calculate molar solutions, use a micropipette, and followed detailed experimental protocols.
- Ability to be responsible for conducting routine laboratory tasks that are critical to successful department operation.
- Excellent written documentation and organizational skills. Ability to follow oral and written procedures precisely.
Must be able to perform essential functions of the position, with reasonable accommodation if disabledAdditional Information
Resident of one of the following zip codes are preferred: 02118, 02119, 02120, 02121, 02122, 02124, 02125, 02130, 02126, 02131, 02136, 02137(These zip codes cover Dorchester, Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, Hyde Park, Roslindale, and Mattapan, MA)