Athletic Communications Assistant
Athletic Communications Assistant Job no: 499442
Position type: Staff Part Time
Benefit Status: Non-Benefited – Non-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Athletic Programs
Applications Open: May 16 2019
General Summary of Position:
The Athletic Communications Assistant provides assistance to the Associate Athletic Director of Communications as needed. The Athletic Communications Assistant also assists with administrative functions within the Athletic Communications office performing various tasks as needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Assist the Associate Athletics Director for Communications with all services related to the athletics communications operation for the University’s 16 Division I sports:
• Assists with updating the official Athletics Twitter, Facebook and other social media accounts.
• Assists with updating content on the official website GoRiverHawks.com.
• Maintains and fosters relationships with campus, local, national, hometown and online media and aggressively promotes maximum coverage for the University
• Serve as the primary contact for selected sports and secondary contact for men’s and women’ basketball.
• Travels with teams as necessary to provide athletic media relations functions for local, regional and national media as well as producing statistical and game reports on a timely basis
• Assists with the operation and maintenance of press rows and boxes at home games
2. Assist with oversight of administrative functions within the Athletics Communications office:
• Assist with the writing, editing, design and production of media guides, programs, publications and other press releases.
• Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings.
• Assist with the supervision of the student communications staff (approximately 8-12 students)
3. Promote the University’s commitment to customer service by:
• Building effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the University by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed.
• Ensuring optimum service to all internal and external partners in response to all requests for service and information.
• Maintaining an environment that is welcoming to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities, and roles.
OTHER JOB DUTIES:
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Frequent evenings and weekends work. Occasional travel required.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, sport management or a related field
- 2-3 years’ experience within a collegiate communications/sports information office
• Effective customer service, communication, interpersonal and public relations skills.
• Knowledge of popular social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram)
• Working familiarity with sports in context of higher education environment.
• Experience working effectively in diverse environments.
• Working Knowledge of Microsoft software (Outlook, Excel and Word) and Adobe InDesign, Photoshop
• Working Knowledge of Video Editing Software (Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere)
• Familiarity with StatCrew software
• A job offer for this position is contingent upon a satisfactory response to a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check and review.
• CLERY certification within first 30 days of employment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This is a part-time, non-unit, non benefited position.
Initial review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applicants are received.
Please include a resume, cover letter and writing sample with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.