Clinical Instructor Tulane Environmental Law ClinicLocation:
New Orleans, LouisianaOpen Date:
Mar 13, 2019Description:
TULANE LAW SCHOOL seeks to hire one or more full-time Clinical Instructors in its Environmental Law Clinic (TELC). Founded in 1989, the TELC is among the first wave of environmental law clinics in the country and remains one of the largest. Since its inception, TELC has provided free legal representation and community outreach on environmental and public access issues to hundreds of low-income individuals, community groups and environmental groups in Louisiana, including disproportionately impacted low-income, minority fenceline communities along the Mississippi River industrial corridor.
TELC has the dual goal of providing law students with the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in the practice of law and to meet the high demand for pro bono legal services to underserved clients before state and federal agencies as well as state and federal district and appellate courts.
The Clinical Instructor will:
- Supervise student attorneys engaged in direct representation of clients in environmental and public access matters before agencies and courts,
- Directly represent clients in environmental and public access matters,
- Provide regular oversight, feedback, and instruction to student attorneys working on TELC cases,
- Participate in weekly staff meetings with TELC faculty and staff to develop and manage the docket,
- Assist in the design and promotion of environmental law-related events at the Law School.
The position has year-round case management responsibilities, with no teaching obligations in the summer.Qualifications:
- A J.D. from an ABA-accredited Law School, where s/he excelled academically
- Three years of relevant experience
- Louisiana bar membership or ability to sit for the Louisiana Bar
- An interest in clinical education
- An ability to work with and take direction from the TELC Director
- An ability to serve as a role model for law students in terms of ethics, writing, oral advocacy, and commitment to excellence.
The ideal candidate for this position has three or more years of proven litigation and environmental law experience as well as superior research and writing skills. Teaching and supervision experience are preferred. The ability to work sensitively with a diverse population of clients and students is essential.
This position is a non-tenure track faculty appointment as a Clinical Instructor to a two-year contract, which may be renewed for additional two or five year terms.
Tulane Law School is committed to faculty diversity and welcomes expressions of interest from diverse applicants.
To learn more about the law school, visit our website at https://law.tulane.edu/
The expected salary range for this position is $65,000-$75,000, depending on experience, and the salary will be accompanied by the range of employee benefits provided by the University. Application Instructions:
All applications must include a cover letter, résumé/CV, a list of at least three references (letters are preferred, but names and current e-mail and/or telephone contact information are acceptable), a law school transcript (unofficial copy is fine), and a legal writing sample. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis, and may be called for a preliminary round of Skype interviews, possibly followed by an on-campus, call back interview. If you have any questions please contact Lisa Jordan, Director of the Tulane Environmental Law Clinic, at [email protected].