Security Specialist - BRC
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleSecurity Specialist - BRCDepartmentRice University Police DepartmentFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS19503Open Date03/26/2019Close DateSalary Information
Various hours: days, evenings, nights, weekends, holidays.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeYesPosition Summary
As a member of the Rice University Police Department, the Security Specialist is responsible for providing security and non-law enforcement services for Bio-Science Research Center (BRC). This may include monitoring CCTV; providing security escorts, key services, and motorist assists; patrolling the BRC and reporting any hazards or violations of the law and regulations; issuing visitor passes, etc.
In addition, the Security Specialist will serve as a key point of contact to the BRC and University communities as well as visitors to the building. S/he will interact frequently with members of the University community in order to meet their expectations and will be responsible for providing building access, information, and directions.
The Security Specialist must be able to perform the assigned duties with minimal supervision from the Security Specialist Supervisor. S/he must have excellent judgment, technical, and interpersonal skills.Education RequiredHS Diploma or equivalentMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education Requirement
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education Preferred
Some college coursework.Experience Required1 yearType of Experience
Related experience working as a security guard.Substitution for Experience Requirement
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
Two or more years experience working in a security guard position with responsibility for routine interactions with the public and monitoring CCTV.License/Certification Required
- CPR Certification will be required within six months of hire (provided by RUPD).
- Must possess (or have the ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire) and maintain a valid Texas driver’s license with no more than three moving violations and/or at fault accidents within the past 36 months, and no convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past five years.
- The ability to develop positive and productive working relationships with students, faculty, and staff of the university
- The ability to perform all assigned functions and duties in an effective, efficient, professional, courteous, and ethical manner with sensitivity to the diversity and uniqueness of the campus community
- The ability to effectively operate various communications (i.e., CCTV) and data storage devices
- The ability to read, write, and conduct routine business in an office setting or in field situations out of doors
- The ability to multi-task
- The ability to communicate effectively with various different groups of people
- The ability to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards
- The ability to successfully detect and resolve issues
- The ability to work with minimal supervision
- A comprehensive understanding of the culture of Rice University, the relationship of the University Police Department with the Rice University community, the mission of the university, and policies and procedures of the university and the department
- The ability to operate a utility vehicle in a safe manner
The Security Specialist will represent the department and the university to the university community members, neighbors of the university, outside law enforcement and governmental agencies, and others interacting with the university.Physical Demands
Must be able to stand, walk, and walk up and down stairs; occasional lifting of boxes up to 20 pounds; must be able to hear and communicate clearly.Working Conditions
Work mostly inside a multi-story facility; some exposure to various weather conditions and a parking garage environment; some exposure to laboratories, chemicals, and live animals. This position is considered essential during a campus emergency. The incumbent in this position is expected to report to campus, provide the essential services designated and work under the overall direction of the Crisis Management Team for the duration of a campus emergency. considered essential personnel.Essential PersonnelRice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Security SensitiveYes Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/18968 Job Functions Essential FunctionsAdditional Functions or Information Job Duties Job Duty NameEssential FunctionsDescription of Job Duty
- Monitors and authorizes entrance and departure of employees, visitors, and other persons to guard against theft and maintain security of premises
- Writes reports of daily activities and irregularities, such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, or unusual occurrences
- Calls police or fire departments in cases of emergency, such as fire or presence of unauthorized persons
- Answers alarms and investigates disturbances
- Circulates among visitors, patrons, or employees to preserve order and protect property
- Patrols industrial or commercial premises to prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensure security of doors, windows, and gates
- Escorts or drives motor vehicle to transport individuals to specified locations or to provide personal protection
- Operates detecting devices to screen individuals and prevents passage of prohibited articles into restricted areas
- Answers telephone calls to take messages, answers questions, and provides information during non-business hours or when switchboard is closed
- Warns persons of rule infractions or violations, and apprehends or evicts violators from premises, using force when necessary
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent?
- * Do you have one year of related experience working as a security guard?
- * Do you possess (or have ability to obtain within 30 days of hire) and maintain a valid Texas driver's license?
- * Have you had four or more moving violations and/or at fault accidents in the past three years?
- * Do you have any convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past five years?