Administrative Assistant School of Engineering and Computer Science (Temporary Employee Pool)
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Title Administrative Assistant School of Engineering and Computer Science (Temporary Employee Pool) Union Level Department Engineering - Administration Campus Stockton Posting Number 201301588P Full or Part Time Part Time Number of Months 12 Work Schedule
This is a temporary casual position. Work performed during standard business hours, overtime may be necessary based on business needs.Position End Date Open Date 03/22/2019 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
This recruitment is to establish a pool of qualified candidates, from which multiple short term, temporary appointments may be made.
Your application will be active for up to 12 months within the temporary pool. (Note: If a job specific posting is created and you are interested in that specific position, please reapply directly to the posted position. Your previous temporary pool application will not automatically transfer to the new job opening.)
Submission of materials does not guarantee consideration for future employment in openings of this type, since availability can be unpredictable and consideration competitive.Position Summary Information Primary Purpose
Under general supervision provides administrative support to fulfill objectives of a large department, unit, or school and serves as the primary point of contact for assigned unit. For positions supporting academic units, additional responsibilities may be assigned specific to serving and supporting faculty and students.The essential functions listed below are intended to identify those generally assigned, the position may perform many but not all, in addition, other responsibilities may be assigned that are unit specific and based on business need.Essential Functions
1. Performs administrative duties for a unit, school or department using working knowledge of the unit’s policies, procedures and practices.
2. Composes and prepares letters, correspondence, special reports, technical papers, presentations and e-mail using standard software applications and in a form consistent with standard business practice. Takes meeting minutes for review and/or distribution.
3. Schedules and/or arranges meetings, travel, lodging for unit personnel or visitors. Ensures reimbursements are made when appropriate.
4. Provides budget and accounting support:
• Processes accounts payable and/or reimbursement requests in timely manner.
• Runs monthly budget reports from internal system, reviews with supervisor and processes any changes or adjustments requested.
5. Monitors office equipment, facilities and duplicating services ensuring all are operational and have no need of repair. Orders unit’s supplies, repair of equipment and facilities when needed or requested.
6. Responds to unit personnel on general inquiries and provides information to those the unit serves.
7. Provides oversight and direction to student employees:
• Creates and monitors schedules
• Assigns and reviews work
• Reviews and submits time sheets
8. Maintains a variety of department records both electronically and manually including but not limited to class enrollments, student records and areas of compliance.
9. Coordinates unit’s calendar of events and ensures unit personnel are updated with current University information.
10. Organizes and/or assists with the coordination of unit events as assigned to include but not limited to:
• Arranges for facilities and equipment set-up as well as technical support
• Requests for payment to vendors/accounts
• Manages event expenses
• Purchases supplies/materials needed for events
• Serves as primary department contact and coordinator to campus departments/units as necessary
• Arranges for guest or presenters to ensure their needs are met
11. Provides technical support to others within office on University supported software applications and may support the update and maintenance of web-site.
12. Recommends new procedures for streamlining administrative duties or office functions.
13. Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
Academic Unit Support: functions preformed primarily in academic units.
14. Class scheduling-Perform Banner input of course schedules including all revisions, additions, and/or changes to schedule. Provides recommendation on class room assignments due to instructional needs or class size. Monitors enrollment and advises chair of issues as they arise.
15. Provides assistance to students by-
• Responds to questions on class registration and class requirements
• Responds to inquiries on degree progress or requirements or completion of forms
• Maintains student records for department majors and in accordance with FERPA guidelines
• Refers students to faculty for appropriate counsel or recommending other resources if necessary
16. Provides assistance to faculty by-
• Orders office and textbook supplies, classroom equipment and other supplies associated with course offerings
• Proctors exams for faculty when requested
• Assists in faculty searches, scheduling and arranging travel, coordinating employment and/or offer materials
• Assists faculty members with various committee responsibilities
• Two (2) years or more administrative experience, using current word-processing software such as: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Internet and electronic email. Knowledge of modern office methods, supplies and equipment that are adequate to successfully complete difficult and complex documents.
• One (1) year or more post-high school education, or equivalent combination of experience, education and training.
• Demonstrated proficiency in the use of computer office software including word processing, spreadsheet applications and mail merge functions. PowerPoint or similar programs highly desired.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, departments, and others.
• Excellent phone & customer service skills, office organization, event/meeting scheduling and records management skills.
• Familiarity with basic budget and bookkeeping procedures.
• Web content management desired.
The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties require constant sitting and repetitive motion while using computer keyboard and phone. Frequent walking, standing and simple grasping. Occasional climbing stairs, walking across campus, stooping and reaching. Constant communication using both spoken and written means. May be required to lift/carry up to 25 lbs.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel:
Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment. Work performed during standard business hours, overtime may be necessary based on business needs.
Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must pass a criminal background check.AA/EEO Policy Statement
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have at least two (2) years of Administrative experience?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have work experience in a University setting?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Have you ever worked at the University of the Pacific with Banner, Argos experience?
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you first learn about this employment opportunity?
- University of the Pacific Website
- Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U)
- Chronicle of HIgher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium - Northern California (NorCal HERC)
- Modesto Bee
- Pacific Employee
- Personal Referral
- Professional or Association Listserv
- Publication or website from a professional organization
- Sacramento Bee
- San Francisco Chronicle
- Stockton Record
- Agency Referral
- Other Online Job Board
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document