Specialist - Aquatics and Fitness Center Manager
Announcement is hereby made for a full-time (12-month), tenure-track appointment for the Spring 2019 semester on the Eastern Campus.
The new Health and Wellness facility at the Eastern Campus is seeking applicants to serve as the Aquatics and Fitness Center Manager. This position reports directly to the Campus Coordinator of Intramurals and Special Programs.
Suffolk County Community College is an open admissions institution committed to serving a diverse student population in a variety of degree and career programs. This is a Unit III position covered under the Faculty Association of Suffolk County Community College collective bargaining agreement with the College.
- Oversees the daily operations of the fitness and aquatics facility and the health club.
- Develops and implements standards and guidelines for the fitness and aquatics facility and trains staff to maintain them.
- Develops and implements emergency and safety procedures for the facility and trains staff to respond accordingly.
- Supervises a staff of lifeguards and fitness center personnel, and a full-time recreation supervisor.
- Interviews and hires staff for the facility (lifeguards and fitness monitors) to ensure they meet qualifications and have required certifications.
- Schedules and supervises events in the facility (swim meets, aquatic events) including set-up of timing equipment, seating, starting blocks, etc.
- Schedules staff for fitness and aquatic facility seven days a week on a year round basis to ensure full coverage.
- Prepares budget for fitness and aquatics facility along with cost factors and annual revenue projections.
- Implements and promotes programs for the fitness and aquatics facility through the development of an internal college-wide and external (community) promotion program.
- Authorizes the repair and maintenance of equipment in the fitness room and aquatics area and contracts out repairs as needed to maintain a safe environment.
- Maintains computer inventory of materials, equipment and supplies for facilities in area of responsibility.
- Orders new and additional equipment for fitness and aquatics facilities to maintain public health and safety.
- Keeps up-to-date records of all personnel’s certifications (lifeguard, first aid, CPR, AED).
- Runs in-service training programs for personnel (lifeguard training, CPR, AED, first aid).
- Maintains all required certifications to operate fitness and aquatic facility (certified pool operator, lifeguard, CPR, AED, first aid).
- Completes all necessary pool data and forms and serves as liaison with the Suffolk County Department of Health Services.
- Other duties as assigned.
Special Notes: The work schedule for the Aquatics and Fitness manager includes weekends. Hours will be determined to meet the operational demands of the facility and may include mornings starting at 5:00 a.m. and evenings as late as 11:00 p.m.
Qualifications include a master’s degree in Physical Education, Sports Management or a related field plus three years’ experience managing a similar type of sports, aquatic or health fitness facility. The applicant must currently hold an American Red Cross Lifeguard Certificate, CPR & first aid, AED Certificate, and be a Certified Pool Operator.
Business and marketing skills are desired. Teaching and administrative experience are preferred. Instructor’s Certificates in First Aid/CPR/AED, Lifeguard Training, and Life Guarding R03 are also preferred.
Click on the following link:
Select position #19-07 and read the description.
Click Apply Online to submit resume and cover letter.
The New York State Retirement and Social Security Law requires retirees of a public pension plan within the State or City of New York to disclose prior public employment and pension plan history for the purpose of establishing a retiree’s eligibility for employment.