(Substitute) Maintenance HVAC Technician
Description of Basic Functions and Responsibilities
Shasta College is seeking to build a pool of qualified applicants for possible part-time, temporary work. We will respond to applications based on our current needs.Overview:
The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College District (Shasta College) sits at the northern end of the Sacramento Valley, surrounded by mountains to the north, east, and west. The area provides a wide array of outdoor amenities and activities with miles of hiking and biking trails, national parks, two lakes, and the Sacramento River.
Shasta College is committed to providing its diverse student population with equitable education outcomes, contributing to the social, cultural, intellectual, and economic development of our communities. The college has been recognized as a leader in developing and implementing innovative education programs to increase student success, including accelerated pathways for high school students to achieve a bachelor's degree and for returning students to complete their Associate and Bachelor's degrees. Shasta College enrolls more than 11,000 students annually and provides educational services to students with a wide range of skills and abilities.
Our ideal candidate is motivated to join a campus community prioritizing the success of our racially and socio-economically diverse staff and student population. Providing equitable outcomes so all members of our community may enjoy safe, healthy, and vibrant educational and employment environments is critical to our success.
Classified positions in the California Community College system offer a unique opportunity to contribute to the empowerment of our students seeking to improve their lives and communities. Our classified staff engage with a diverse employee and student populations, facilitating equitable outcomes for all by implementing and supporting our various employment and academic programs. As a classified staff member at Shasta College, you will join a vibrant community of professionals and educators working together to provide a positive, healthy educational environment where our students experience diverse academic and cultural perspectives. A career in classified service at Shasta College offers a highly rewarding and enriching employment experience.
DESCRIPTION OF BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform general skilled tasks and operations involved in the maintenance, repair, and installation of the District's heating and air conditioning equipment. Employees in this classification receive general supervision within a framework of standard policies and procedures, and may oversee and direct the work of others for specific projects as assigned. This job class requires technical knowledge and skill in heating and air conditioning equipment operation and installation as well as the ability to perform semi-skilled general maintenance operations. This job class functions at a journey level of classification.
SUPERVISOR: Director of Physical Plant or designee Typical Duties, Knowledge and Ability
- Performs general skilled trades work related to the maintenance, repair, and installation of heating and air conditioning equipment.
- Repairs cafeteria equipment including kitchen stoves, ovens, refrigerator units, automatic dishwasher, ice making machines, steam cookers/kettles, and other machinery.
- Adjusts and repairs all electrical and pneumatic controls relating to air conditioning and heating units.
- Maintains circulating pumps, motors and valves in mechanical rooms.
- Changes filters and unit fans as necessary to insure proper function.
- Lubricates, adjusts, and replaces, as necessary, belts and linkages on fans and motors.
- Replaces or adds freon and oil in chiller units as necessary.
- Checks and maintains fire screens and shotlinkage in air ducts.
- Services domestic and commercial laundry equipment; orders parts and makes recommendations and obtains price quotes for purchase of new equipment.
- Operates and services alternate fuel-propane plant.
- Programs, troubleshoots, and repairs microprocessor-based energy management control system.
- Designs, modifies, and installs new and existing duct work.
- Repairs and maintains natural gas and water lines.
- Installs and maintains heat pumps.
- Replaces and adjusts gas regulators.
- Installs and maintains heat pumps, air lines, chiller, and compressors.
- Maintains a variety of records and logs related to the servicing, repair, and operation of HVAC equipment.
- Performs all HVAC work in conformance with building and safety codes.
- Recommends equipment purchases in related areas as required.
- Oversees and directs the work of others in a lead capacity as assigned.
- Performs other related duties similar to the above in scope and function as required.
- The methods, procedures, equipment, and tools related to commercial/industrial heating and air conditioning equipment and component installation, operation, maintenance, and repair.
- The safety rules codes and regulations related to HVAC equipment operation.
- Read and interpret blueprints, sketches, and diagrams.
- Perform skilled installation, maintenance, and repair work associated with HVAC equipment and its related components.
- Maintain accurate work logs and records.
- Understand and carry out complex instructions.
- Safety use and operate a variety of hand tools, power tools, and other equipment used for HVAC maintenance and repair purposes.
- Quickly and effectively diagnose HVAC maintenance and repair problems and take appropriate action to resolve them.
- Effectively communicate in both oral and written forms.
- Perform mathematical calculations using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Oversee and direct the work of others in a lead capacity as assigned.
- Safely and effectively work on ladders, scaffolding, rigging, and roofs of varying heights.
- Meet the physical requirements necessary to safely and effectively perform the required duties.
- A valid and appropriate California Driver's License.
- Two years of recent electrical experience in wiring and controls, and heating and air conditioning maintenance; course work in HVAC or related field.
- Possession of EPA 608 Certification
- Cover letter addressing criteria listed in the position announcement
- Current resume
- College transcripts (unofficial will be accepted at the time of application)
- After application has been submitted, all application materials will be screened.
- Internal candidates must also submit all required materials to be considered.
- Candidate evaluations will not be considered.
- Reference letters from any member of the Hiring Committee or Board Members will not be considered.
- Interviews will be by invitation only.
- Interviews are held on campus. No Skype or Phone Interviews.
- The District does not provide expense reimbursement for those invited to initial interviews.
- The District does not reimburse for new hire moving expenses.
Longevity pay in accordance with Section 8.8 of the Classified Employee Collective Bargaining Agreement. The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College District ("Shasta College") does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religious preference, age, disability (physical and mental), pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity, sexual orientation, genetics, military or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Shasta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.