Director of La Casa Cultural Latina
The Office of Inclusion and Intercultural Relations at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign invites applications for the position of Director of La Casa Cultural Latina. Since its founding in 1974, La Casa Cultural Latina has demonstrated an unwavering commitment to Latinx/a/o students, the campus community, as well as local and global communities. As the campus Latinx/a/o cultural center, La Casa reflects the diversity of cultures and exemplifies el éxito Latino that shapes the Americas in our contemporary world. La Casa promotes cross-cultural understanding and provides support for Latinx/a/o in our university community. The mission of La Casa Cultural Latina is to provide a welcoming and dynamic atmosphere through the development of educational, cultural, socio-political, and social programs that lead to greater recruitment, retention, advancement, and empowerment of Latinx/a/o students.
The successful candidate will be working on a campus with academically talented and diverse student population, including 19 percent international students, 12 percent Asian American students, 5 percent African American students, and 8 percent Hispanic/Latino students from a total enrollment over 49,000 students. The campus is located Champaign-Urbana (total population 129,421) in east-central Illinois, 140 miles south of Chicago. For additional information, see http://oiir.illinois.edu/la-casa-cultural-latina
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Direct supervision over all operations at La Casa Cultural Latina. Responsible for administering programming and services offered by the center which advance awareness of cultures, encourage diversity, and educate the greater community. Responsible for hiring, supervising, and evaluating full-time staff, graduate and undergraduate student staff, and volunteers. Organize and facilitate student and staff advisory committee meetings. Responsible for budget planning and oversight; delegation of tasks; conflict management; planning and goal setting; and program assessment.
Establish and design innovative educational initiatives, services, and programs related to Latinx/a/o students and international students from Latin America. Develop collaborative working partnerships with campus colleagues. Integrate the unit’s educational and cultural activities with those provided by other campus units that support the increased enrollment and retention of Latinx/a/o students. Develop and promote Latinx/a/o alumni relations. Promote development activities, including grant writing and fundraising aimed at creating resources for Latinx/a/o student programs and retention efforts.
Student Support and Advocacy (20%):
Hire, supervise, and evaluate student interns and recruit student volunteers for center-community outreach. Serve as advisor to Latinx/a/o students and student organizations. Provide information, advocacy, referral and other direct services to students, faculty, and staff. Serve as resource person for students, faculty, and staff interested in Latinx/a/o issues and the services/functions of La Casa Cultural Latina. Some evenings and weekends are required, as needed.
Campus-Community Outreach (15%):
The director must work collaboratively with other OIIR units and campus offices, and foster relationships with local, state, and regional Latinx/a/o community members and organizations. Serve as a resource person for students, faculty, and staff. Serve as resource person to local Champaign-Urbana school districts, University YMCA, and other community organizations. Represent La Casa Cultural Latina and OIIR on campus-wide standing and ad-hoc committees.
Assessment and Evaluation (15%):
Conduct regular program evaluations and coordinate center objectives with OIIR, Student Affairs, and university goals. Provide leadership in reviewing the mission and goals of La Casa Cultural Latina and create a unit strategic plan consistent with OIIR and Student Affairs strategic plans. Coordinate the production of reports for internal and external units.
- Master’s degree, preferably in higher education administration, Latinx/a/o studies, counseling, or related field Five years of progressive leadership experience in student affairs, higher education administration, or community organizations
- Experience designing and implementing programs and services focusing on Latinx/a/o students
- Experience working collaboratively with other administrators, faculty, and staff to advance institutional goals
- Experience supervising professional or student staff members
- Experience coordinating, developing, and implementing educational, cultural, and social justice programs
- Strong assessment skills, especially regarding diversity and inclusive programming
- Demonstrated commitment to building community that fosters intercultural learning
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Bilingual (Spanish & English)
- Professional experience working with Latin American and international students
- Experience in facility management
- Experience in fundraising and working with alumni and constituents
- Experience developing community and public engagement programs.
- Experience in public speaking, including trainings, keynotes, and lectures.
- Experience in marketing and communications (e.g. electronic newsletters, websites, social media)
Salary and Appointment Status:
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a full-time (100%), benefits-eligible, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month basis. Proposed starting date is as soon as possible. For full consideration, candidates should complete an online application at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume and names and contact information for three professional references prior to the application deadline, March 29, 2019. Review of applications will start immediately; however, no hiring decision will be made before the application deadline.
For additional information regarding the application process, contact:
Office of Inclusion and Intercultural Relations
Email: [email protected]
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.