Watch Engineer (Part-Time)
Watch Engineer (Part-Time)
Mar 21, 2019
- Starts up all power plant equipment as needed for normal operation, which includes equipment in outlying buildings adjacent to campus.
- Sets up the heating system operation according to changing weather conditions and standing orders.
- Inspects boilers and generators and other equipment and makes routine repairs to same; performs electrical trouble-shooting in connection with his operation when needed; takes any emergency action as needed in the event of abnormal conditions, and reports action to the chief engineer; chooses a course of action to cover any serious condition which may develop in the power plant or its equipment, including heating equipment in all Institute buildings.
- Treats boiler water in accord with chemical test results.
- Uses hand and power tools safely and properly.
- Completes specific work order assignments, reports all pertinent information required on the work order, and returns it to his supervisor.
- Keeps all shop machinery clean and neat at all times; keeps the power plant clean and neat at all times.
- Prepares lists of needed supplies, hardware, equipment, and inventory under the direction of the chief engineer.
- Performs maintenance work on critical equipment that is beyond the skills of regular maintenance people.
- Estimates what steam and electricity consumption will be required for the day or night and has sufficient equipment operating to supply it.
- Maintains daily log sheets and meter readings for shift.
- Takes such job-related training courses as required.
Performs all other related tasks as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other plant management.
Education: High school diploma or equivalency preferred.
Experience: Five years’ previous experience as watch engineer required.
Knowledge and Skills: Must be able to perform above tasks. Must be capable of reading and writing the English language for good communication purposes. Must have a working knowledge of the operation of all plant equipment, including fuel oil pumps, heaters, burners, and controls, sump pumps, draft control equipment, plant instrumentation and meters including flowmeters, smoke, carbon dioxide, draft, other recording meters, and feedwater testing. Must also have knowledge of operation of engines, pumps, steam and electric generators, blowers, and all connected equipment, electrical controls, circuit breakers, and other switch gear; steam operated equipment such as heat exchangers, reducing and other control valves. Obtains and retains in good standing such licenses as required by governmental authorities.
License: Must have a valid NYC Stationary High Pressure Boiler Operating license.
Please submit your cover letter and resume. If you are selected for an interview, please be prepared to provide at least 5 References via our on-line reference tool system. At least 2 of your References must be, or have been, your direct managers.