Senior Minerals Processing Engineer
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy Type EHRA Non-Faculty Is Internal Transfer Only No Working Title Senior Minerals Processing Engineer Salary Range Anticipated Hiring Range $82,000 - $85,000 Position Number 00062995 Work Schedule M-F; 8:00 - 5:00 Full Time Equivalent (FTE) 1.00 Department 141001 - Minerals Research Laboratory Department Minerals Research Laboratory Job City & State Asheville, NC Primary Function of Organizational Unit
The MRL is located in Asheville, NC and the Director- MRL keeps in contact with the North Carolina and United States mineral industry to define the needs of the industry and to initiate research projects. The work of the MRL, like the overall work of Industry Expansion Solutions (IES), is accomplished by developing and delivering superior professional education and technical assistance programs that meet the needs of engineers and technical professionals in the mining and minerals industry and by advocating the use of engineering science and technology and best practices to promote corporate growth and the production of quality products. IES is a state-wide university based economic development organization specifically chartered by the North Carolina General Assembly to transfer knowledge and technology to North Carolina industry to support global competitiveness.Essential Job Duties
This position will be responsible for the daily managing of the technicians and the facility. The Chief Engineer will have personal project work in addition to scheduling equipment time and manpower for the other Engineers. IES is a major component of the state’s economic development operation by diffusing engineering, science, and technology to NC industry, business, and public agencies for the enhancement of employee safety, quality, productivity and environmental protection. The Minerals Research Laboratory (a group within IES) interacts with mining companies, exploration geologists, and government agencies to promote, educate, and increase use of minerals. The lab has a seventy-year track record of helping mining companies in North America and around the world to improve processing efficiency, produce new products and improve quality of existing product lines.
1. Leadership: 40% This position provides leadership and guidance to staff at MRL and establishes the basic building blocks for the lab’s national and international reputation. Assists with recruiting engineers and technicians. Responsible for training, scheduling, and maintaining smooth workflow through the lab. In addition to supervising responsibilities, the position is responsible for the upkeep of three buildings, and the storage and maintenance of both the bench scale equipment as well as the pilot plant machines. The Chief Engineer will run contracting services for structural and electric repair and additions.
2. Technical Service: 40% This position will provide hands-on technical assistance to clients and process engineers. The Chief Engineer will draft client proposals for Director’s approval.
3. Education Program: 20% This position will be responsible to continue public and private school education through “Rock Kits” and in class seminars. The Chief
Engineer will be the contact person for the Asheville Mineral Museum.
Number of employees and student workers the incumbent directly supervises: 6. This position directly supervises manpower resources as needed.Minimum Education/Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree in Mineral Processing, with ten years’ experience with industrial minerals pilot plant facilities.Departmental Required Skills
A minimum of five years of industrial mining experience is required. Construction management experience is a strong plus. The incumbent must have ten years of client development experience. A strong work ethic and willingness to travel are required. High proficiency in the use of personal computer is a must.Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
A Master’s Degree in Mineral Processing, with ten years’ experience with industrial minerals pilot plant facilities.Required License or Certification
n/aSpecial Instructions Job Open Date 09/22/2018 Anticipated Closing Date 10/05/2018 Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies? No Proposed Hire Date 11/01/2018 AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at www.wes.org. Degree must be obtained prior to start date.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you selected "Other" for the previous question, please provide the source you learned about this opportunity from.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References