Deputy Director, GSB Library
Deputy Director, GSB Library
Job Number: 82448
Job Code: 1786 Job Grade: L Stanford Graduate School of Business
Residing in Silicon Valley, the heart of innovation, Stanford GSB has built a global reputation based on its immersive and innovative management programs. We provide students a transformative leadership experience, push the boundaries of knowledge with faculty research, and offer a portfolio of entrepreneurial and non-degree programs that deliver global impact like no other. We strive to change lives, change organizations, and change the world.
We are looking for a Deputy Director to help create the future of academic libraries. Reimagine and enhance the core services of the GSB Library. Provide management and coordination of administrative and operations-related functions for the Library. Lead, cultivate and empower staff to achieve goals and objectives. Innovatively use technology and evidence-based decision making practices to develop and implement best practices for research services. Work collegially and collaboratively within the GSB Library and the broader Stanford Community.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Manage staff in the daily operations of the library. Responsible for hiring and retaining staff, career coaching, personal development of direct reports and accountable for the performance of employees.
- Develop, optimize and maintain core services of the library.
- Ensure data driven decision making through tracking of performance metrics. Track key metrics for performance against the goals and strategic plans of the library.
- Coordinate the library's work plan and related planning initiatives, ensure policies and procedures are responsive to the organization's mission, goals, and objectives.
- Keep current on technology trends and evaluate emerging technologies for adoption and implementation to enhance library and research programs, services and collections.
- Review and approve expenditures and ensure adherence to the approved budget.
- Negotiate with vendors to obtain favorable pricing and terms, coordinate and monitor license agreement processing.
- Enable secure data access for student and faculty research.
- Form data partnerships with industry.
- Other duties may also be assigned
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Master's Degree in Library Science and five years of relevant experience in an academic library setting including at least three years of management experience in positions of increasing responsibility or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of all aspects of academic library operations including extensive knowledge of contemporary library practices, trends and emerging technologies; Knowledge of and experience with outcomes and assessment of library services.
- Knowledge of collection development, archival, acquisitions, cataloging, database management, library instruction and information literacy, public and technical services, and reference.
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of diplomacy in persuading and influencing a wide variety of stakeholders at various levels to achieve results.
- Demonstrated successful experience developing and maintaining library budgets.
- Advanced project management skills involving designing, leading, and completing projects within intended scope and timelines. Attention to detail.
- Product management experience a plus.
- Ability to transfer and apply knowledge and experience to new situations.
- Strong knowledge of the academic research process.
- Understanding of metadata and data curation standards and practices.
- Experience enabling secure data storage and compute for research purposes.
- Experience managing a portfolio of responsibilities in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated broad knowledge of automation systems, online resources, and instructional technologies.
- Experience using technologies to provide and enhance library and research services and their changing roles in higher education. Experience in use of digital knowledge management and delivery systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills and a demonstrated ability to work well with others in a team environment.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford's dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume along with your online application.
Location: Graduate School of Business, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency