Note: This job announcement has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required or assigned to an employee in this position.
This position reports directly to the Assistant Director for Budgets and Contracts and is responsible for projecting monthly and annual budgets for the College. monitoring department budget to actual status College-wide. assisting department heads and project directors in budget preparation and maintenance. assisting in the analysis, planning. and administering of past, present, and future budgetary expenditures under the direction of the Vice President for Business and Finance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in the preparation and maintenance of the Colleges operating budget utilizing Microsoft Excel and BANNER software packages under the direction of the Director of the Budget and Contracts.
- Collect and analyze financial data.
- Monitor unrestricted budget to ensure budget remains balanced.
- Approve and assist in the daily processing of budget and adjustments in accordance with College policies.
- Assist with maintenance of position control budget for the College, by working closely with The Office of Human Resources, Office of Academic Affairs, and Payroll in maintaining accurate position, general ledger accounting distributions.
- Preparation of monthly position budget reconciliation.
- Work closely with budget managers in requesting annual budget projections, approving any adjustments to budgets, and setting up grant budgets as authorized.
- Assist department heads in the preparation and maintenance of their budgets, as authorized.
- Assist budget managers in projecting future budget needs based on current expenditures.
- Prepare Monthly and/or quarterly budget-to-actual reports of operating expenses for departmental and grant budgets.
- Communicate the status and availability of funds in various accounts to budget managers to allow decisions to be made regarding budget reallocation
- Review general ledger to ensure journal entries originated by the Budgets and Contracts Office have been properly processed.
- Communicate with Principal Investigators of externally funded programs surrounding issues concerning budget set-up or adjustments.
- Review and approve faculty and staff requests for supplemental pay.
- Collaborate with the Office of Sponsored Programs and Office of Advancement Services to ensure proper recording of new grant funding, as well as, proper submission of closeout-documentation to funding agencies.
- Maintain departmental data and management systems and assist with the implementation of departmental BANNER based projects, while ensuring the accuracy and integrity of the database.
- Create new budget worksheet database annually and reconcile worksheets and budget in BANNER.
This position has indirect accountability of an Operating Budget of $125-$140million and a Payroll Budget of $40 million.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree and four years’ experience in accounting is required. Must be able to interact with diverse populations, adjust to changing situations and exercise tact and diplomacy. General familiarity with College research resources; professional maturity; and judgment and drive to effectively represent the College. Must possess excellent organizational skills; work with minimum supervision; and the ability to tend to details. Good proofreading skills are essential. This position requires the ability to read, analyze and interpret the most complex documents.
The incumbent must be able to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints. The duties of this position also require the ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style. The ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups is also required. The responsibilities of this position include the ability to write reports and correspondence and the ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be proficient in Microsoft Access, Excel and Word.
Qualified individuals are encouraged to visit our website and apply via our online application: www.spelman.edu. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package and a campus environment filled with unique opportunities and experiences.
Spelman College is an EOE/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Title IX Employer and we participate in E-Verify.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE