Adjunct Assistant Professor, Sociology
Job Status:Open Title:Adjunct Assistant Professor, Sociology Opportunity Type:Part-time Position Type:Adjunct Faculty Position Classification:Exempt Home Department:Sociology-Social and Behavioral Sciences Open until filled:Yes Job Location:Northwest Campus,Andrews Center @ Starke,Blount Center @ Downtown Gainesville,Davis Center @ Archer,Watson Center @ Keystone Heights Overview:
Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community college in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester, retains and completes over 60% of students every academic year, while over 10% transfer into the University system.
Compensation: Salary as per the SF Salary ScheduleDescription:
Sociology within the Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences is seeking Adjunct Professors to promote and encourage student success through quality instruction. Under general supervision, the Adjunct Assistant develops, prepares and teaches a variety of coursework which may consist of Principles of Sociology, Social Problems, as well as Marriage and Family. Adjunct Faculty are employed on a term-by-term basis and may be assigned teaching duties at SF’s main Northwest campus or at any of the College’s six educational centers. Course offerings within Sociology may be taught during the day, evening, or online, as well as taught using other distance learning formats.Responsibilities and Duties:
- Plan, organize, and deliver Sociology instructions in didactic, laboratory and/or classroom settings to promote student success within a community college setting.
- Support and promote the college and departmental missions centered on excellence in teaching and learning through quality instruction, curriculum enhancement, and service.
- Collaborate with department chair, faculty, and peers to evaluate, revise, and develop curriculum to cultivate the mastery of course content.
- Provide students with frequent, timely assessment of and clear feedback regarding academic performance.
- Appropriately document student progress and maintain records including attendance, grading and student learning outcomes.
- Proctor exams as necessary.
- Maintain appropriate office hours proportionate to the instructional assignment.
- Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
Reports to: Chair, Social and Behavioral SciencesQualifications:
Required: A Master's degree in Sociology or a Master's degree with at least 18 graduate semester hours in the qualifying field of Sociology is required. See page 52 of the SF Faculty Credentialing Manual for specifics. A criminal background check will be conducted.
Preferred: College level teaching experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: The successful applicant must be willing to work a flexible schedule at multiple sites, including online, as well as possess strong, written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. The Adjunct Assistant Professor must demonstrate the ability to work well with students, faculty and staff at all levels within a diverse, multi-cultural, collaborative environment.
Application Process: All applicants must create an Applicant Profile to complete the SF Employment Application, submit an up-to-date resume as well as college transcripts to be considered for this position.Three (3) letters of recommendation are strongly preferred at the time of application, however they may be required prior to hire. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.
Contact:MICHAEL TEGEDER Required Documents:Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Unofficial Transcripts