Adjunct Assistant Professor, Humanities
Job Status:Open Title:Adjunct Assistant Professor, Humanities Opportunity Type:Adjunct Position Type:Adjunct Faculty Position Classification:Exempt Home Department:Humanities and Foreign Languages Open until filled:Yes Job Location:Northwest Campus Overview:
Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community college in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester, retains and completes over 60% of students every academic year, while over 10% transfer into the University system.
Compensation: Salary as per the SF Salary Schedule.Description:
Under general supervision, the Adjunct Assistant for Humanities develops, prepares and teaches a variety of interdisciplinary humanities coursework consisting of HUM 2210 (Ancient World to the Renaissance); HUM 2230 (Renaissance to the Enlightenment); HUM 2250 (18th Century to the Present); HUM 2420 (African Humanities); HUM 2450 (American Humanities); HUM 2461 (Latin American Humanities). Adjunct Faculty are employed on a term-by-term basis and may be assigned teaching duties at SF’s main Northwest campus or at any of the College’s six educational centers. Course offerings within the Humanities and Foreign Language Department may be taught during the day, evening, or online, as well as taught using other distance learning formats.Responsibilities and Duties:
- Plan, organize, and deliver humanities instruction in didactic, laboratory and/or classroom settings to promote student success within a community college setting.
- Support and promote the college and departmental missions centered on excellence in teaching and learning through quality instruction, curriculum enhancement, and service.
- Collaborate with department chair, faculty, and peers to evaluate, revise, and develop curriculum to cultivate the mastery of course content.
- Provide students with frequent, timely assessment of and clear feedback regarding academic performance.
- Appropriately document student progress and maintain accurate records such as attendance, grading and achievement of student learning outcomes.
- Honor student confidentiality and privacy as per appropriate laws, regulations and college rules.
- Proctor exams, participate in departmental meetings, as well as college taskforces and/or committees as necessary.
- Maintain appropriate office hours proportionate to the instructional assignment.
- Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Chair, Humanities and Foreign LanguagesQualifications:
Required: A Master’s Degree in any academic major related to humanities or history of the arts such as Art History, Classics, Area Studies, languages and literature, history, liberal studies, music history, philosophy, religion or a Master’s degree with eighteen (18) graduate hours within any combination of the qualifying fields is required. A criminal background check will be conducted.
Preferred: Relevant teaching experience within a community college setting is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: The Adjunct Assistant must have the ability to deliver a high level of interactive customer service, develop and maintain collaborative relationships throughout the organization, communicate effectively and possess proficient computer skills, including familiarity with the Microsoft Suite of Office Applications. The successful applicant must be willing to work a flexible schedule at multiple sites, as well as demonstrate the ability to work well with students, faculty and staff at all levels within a diverse, multi-cultural, collaborative environment.
Application Process: All applicants must create an Applicant Profile to complete the SF Employment Application, submit an up-to-date resume, as well as college transcripts to be considered for this position. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.
Required Documents:Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Unofficial Transcripts