Lecturer of Recreation
Lecturer of Recreation—Search #67694
College of Behavioral & Social Sciences/School of Human Ecology
The School of Human Ecology in the College of Behavioral & Social Sciences invites applications and nominations for the position of Lecturer of Recreation. This position will be located on the Statesboro campus.
Georgia Southern University is the state's largest and most comprehensive center of higher education south of Atlanta. With 141 degree programs at the associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern is designated a Carnegie Doctoral/Research university and serves more than 27,000 students on three vibrant campuses—the Armstrong campus in Savannah, the Statesboro campus, and the Liberty campus in Hinesville. Georgia Southern offers an attractive campus environment that encourages learning, discovery, and personal growth. Nationally accredited academic programs prepare diverse scholars for leadership and service as working citizens.
Since 1906, the University's hallmark has been a culture of engagement that bridges theory with practice, extends the learning environment beyond the classroom, and promotes student growth and life success. Central to the University's mission is the faculty's dedication to excellence in teaching and the development of a fertile learning environment exemplified by a free exchange of ideas, high academic expectations, and individual responsibility for academic achievement. Faculty, staff, and students embrace core values expressed through integrity, civility, kindness, collaboration, and a commitment to lifelong learning, wellness, and social responsibility.
Within this setting, the multi-disciplinary School of Human Ecology is a dynamic and growth-oriented applied research unit of over 20 faculty and staff serving over 800 undergraduate majors enrolled in programs in areas that include Child and Family Development, Fashion Merchandising and Apparel Design, Interior Design, and Recreation. In addition, the school houses the Child Development Center, an on-campus laboratory school serving 64 infant, toddler, and preschool age children. Programs within the school are accredited by the Council on Accreditation for Parks, Recreation, Tourism, and Related Professions; the National Association for the Education of the Young Children; and the Council for Interior Design Accreditation. The Recreation program offers three undergraduate emphasis areas: Outdoor Recreation, Recreational Therapy, and Tourism and Community Leisure Services. Students in Recreation are eligible for certification as a Park and Recreation Professional through the National Recreation and Park Association. Those who complete the Recreational Therapy emphasis are eligible for certification in Recreational Therapy from the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification.
Position Description. Reporting to the School Chair, the Lecturer of Recreation is primarily a teaching appointment and requires some service responsibilities. A terminal degree from an accredited institution in the content area is required. The position is a nine month, non-tenure-track appointment and the salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• Earned doctorate in Recreation, or a closely related field with at least 18 graduate semester hours in recreation, by August 1, 2019.
• Commitment to teaching and service that is consistent with the College's priorities for the School and the mission of the University
• Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution.
• A minimum of one year of college/university teaching experience.
• Experience with the development and delivery of academic courses in both online and traditional formats.
• Experience mentoring students and supervising interns.
• Experience working with a diverse student body.
• Full-time work experience in outdoor recreation, recreational therapy, tourism, and/or community leisure services.
• Certifications and other professional development activities relevant to areas of expertise (e.g., Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP); Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS); Certified Interpretive Trainer (CIT); ACCT Challenge Course Practitioner or Challenge Course Manager; Wilderness EMT; Wilderness First Responder (WFR)).
• Technological literacy and a commitment to integrate technology into teaching.
• The ability to establish partnerships with professional organizations.
Screening of applications begins April 21, 2019, and continues until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is August 1, 2019. A complete application consists of a letter addressing the qualifications cited above; a curriculum vitae; unofficial copies of all academic transcripts (official transcripts will be required upon hire); and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least 3 professional references. Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications submitted electronically will be considered. Finalists will be required to complete a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Dr. Beth Myers, Search Chair, Search #67694
Georgia Southern University
Electronic mail: [email protected]
More information about the institution is available through https://academics.georgiasouthern.edu/positions/faculty/ or https://cbss.georgiasouthern.edu/human-ecology/. Georgia Southern University seeks to recruit individuals who are committed to working in diverse academic and professional communities and who are committed to excellence in teaching, scholarship, and professional service within the University and beyond. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity institution. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA to participate in the search process should contact the Vice Provost.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency