Health Physics and Laboratory Safety Technician
Health Physics and Laboratory Safety Technician
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
Health Physics and Laboratory Safety Technician - Environmental Health and Safety
Responsible for the implementation of Environmental Health and Safety policies and procedures. In addition, this position actively participates in the University -wide programs such as Fire safety, Chemical, Biological, Radiation and Laser safety compliance programs. The position provides support for environmental, air quality and ergonomic concerns. This position provides support to basic science/ clinical faculty at the Medical Center. Responsibilities in occupational and laboratory safety, and campus wide life safety. These functions are performed in accordance with Georgetown University Medical Center's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards. Duties include but are not limited to:
Safety Specialist Function
- Assist laboratories, and facilities with IAQ, ergonomics, biological/chemical storage, use and emergency preparedness.
- Building walk-through inspections and coordination with faculty and shared equipment areas (dark rooms, cold rooms, tissue culture etc.).
- Assist in providing safety training for laboratory personnel.
- Assist in the development of laboratory safety procedures and manuals.
- Assist with hazardous waste programs (Chem/Bio/RAM, Controlled substance)s.
- Available for after-hours emergency response.
- Assist with Life Safety requirements and conducting fire drills.
- Conduct Fire Extinguisher, and other training as required.
- Assist with lab decon/commissioning activity and posting.
Health Physics Function
- Assist with performing and documenting radiological assessments of laboratories using Radioactive Materials and/or devices for compliance with US NRC and DC regulations.
- Assist with packaging and disposal of radioactive waste in accordance with regulations and burial site requirements.
- Assist with ordering, receipt, shipping and inventory of radioactive materials and sealed sources in accordance with US NRC and US DOT regulations and RSO policies.
- Respond to, investigates, and mitigates radiological incidents.
- Utilize and maintain the RSO data base management system.
- Assist in maintaining RSOS RAM waste areas.
- B.S. degree in Chemistry, Life Science or relevant field, or a HS diploma with a minimum of four years' work experience
- Experience in fire safety, and training is beneficial. Background in chemical, biological, and radiological safety with some knowledge of EPA, OSHA, NFPA, NRC and other applicable Federal regulations
- Knowledge of Federally-mandated safety program requirements for Radiation Safety standards, Hazards Communication, Chemical Hygiene, Formaldehyde Exposure, Blood-borne Pathogens, Confined Space Entry and other pertinent regulations
- Excellent organizational skills, be able to work with minimum supervision, and possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department and University at large
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected].
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Health-Physics-and-Laboratory-Safety-Technician_JR06133
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency