Job Title: Teachers Assistant
Location: Atl Metropolitan State College
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 1824
The Upward Bound Program. The Upward Bound Office at Atlanta Metropolitan State College, a unit of the University System of Georgia, invites candidates to apply for teacher’s assistant positions for the Program’s Summer Academy. Teacher’s assistants should demonstrate outstanding tutoring skills and express a desire to work with a diverse student population. The position will be part-time (approximately 35 hours per week) and will report to the Coordinator for the Upward Bound Program. The position of Teacher Assistant will be part-time (hourly) to assist academic instructors during the Summer Program and the Upward Bound Staff.Special Applicant Instructions
Review of applications will begin immediately. The anticipated hire date is May 22, 2019. The summer program will begin on May 30, 2019 and end on July 2, 2019. Interested persons should apply online at www.atlm.edu and submit a letter of interest, a detailed resume which includes the names and addresses of three professional references, and a copy of all college transcripts. Candidates selected for interview will be required to provide official copies of all college transcripts. A criminal background check is also required. Atlanta Metropolitan State College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution.
1. To assist the classroom faculty, main office, and cafeteria, as assigned.
2. Abide by rules of the program and the classroom teachers.
3. Teacher Assistants will be assigned students to tutor in their area of expertise.
4. Assist in supervising grade level Sessions at the end of the day.
5. Perform duties during the summer college simulation phase which include
developing and leading activities as assigned.
6. Assist with enrichment and recreational activities during the summer program.
8. Use insight and good judgment in enforcing policies and implementing
problem solving procedures when needed.
9. Serve as appropriate mentors for Upward Bound students.
10. Attend and participate in all academic year and summer faculty and staff training
11. Assist in correcting participants’ behavior as needed.
12. Supervise participants on campus, trips, and at cultural events.
13. Perform additional activities noted by Project Director and Upward Bound Staff.
14. Participate in job training activities as requested by the Upward Bound Staff.
Required Qualifications Applicants must possess at least 30 credit hours from an accredited college or university and possess a grade point average of 2.8 or higher. Specific positions for teacher’s assistants are needed in the following areas: math, social studies, English, writing, reading, science, and foreign languages. Other requirements include experience in working with low income, first-generation high school students, and/or teens with disabilities. All candidates recommended for hire must successfully complete a background investigation prior to employment.
1. Completed 30 hours of college credits or graduate student.
2. Satisfactory Academic accomplishment.
3. Demonstrate knowledge of the subject tutored.
5. Ability to understand, mentor, and tutor disadvantaged students.
6. Experience desired, but not required.
7. Participated in a TRIO Program as student is preferred.
Preferred Qualifications Preferred qualifications include experience in academic tutoring, advisement, and experience in or knowledge of the Upward Bound Program and/or other TRIO programs. Teacher’s assistants should possess excellent attention to details, strong organizational and communications skills, and an ability to work with diverse populations. Teacher’s assistants may be asked to travel to local area high schools to tutor participants. About Us
Welcome to Atlanta Metropolitan State College (AMSC), a University System of Georgia (USG) institution that is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Atlanta Metropolitan State College has a rich history that is tied to the City of Atlanta for which it is appropriately named. The college offers high quality baccalaureate, associate and certificate programs that are challenging, comprehensive and very affordable. Atlanta Metropolitan State College currently serves about 3,000 students and is situated on a beautifully landscaped Southwest Atlanta campus; which is located ten minutes south of downtown Atlanta and fifteen minutes north of Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.Equal Employment Opportunity
Atlanta Metropolitan State College is an equal employment opportunity employer. Atlanta Metropolitan State College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or military/veteran status.
EVerify # 111036