Job Description Summary
This individual will be responsible for installing, troubleshooting and maintaining network devices such as: switches, wireless access points, wireless controllers and physical cabling (fiber/copper). Primary for administration of the Aruba wireless network. This person will provide triage for network help desk tickets. The Network Administrator directly reports to the Director of Network Services and has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Troubleshooting and Resolution: You must work to directly resolve or assist in the resolution of network issues by working either independently, with other team members, or with other University departments. The ability to independently isolate variables, identify problems and deliver clear, concise troubleshooting and/or solutions is very important. This person needs to have a strong ability to collaborate with technical and non-technical audiences both verbally or in written form, possess the ability to proactively communicate out the resolution of issues and provide follow up to both users and management.
- Primary admin for configuration, maintenance, and monitoring of all Aruba wireless network equipment; over 2000 access points, multiple controllers, management systems (Airwave/Clearpass).
- Configuration, installation and maintenance of Juniper switches, Layer 2 technologies VLANs, STP/RSTP, Trunking, 802.1Q, Port Security, and Inter-VLAN Routing
- Provide additions, deletions and modifications of network equipment to maintain maximum performance, reliability and security.
- Involvement in the management of network hardware inventory, monitoring and alerting by use of SSH, Syslog, SNMP, and NTP; Monitoring system - Solarwinds, PRTG
- Acknowledge and work on network help desk tickets to support students and staff; In a timely manner, resolve issues or escalate to Sr. Engineer level
- Management and troubleshooting of copper and fiber cable as well as fiber optics inside campus network closets and data center
- Bachelor's degree and 3 - 5 years of in the field experience supporting an Enterprise Local Area Network.
- Strong working knowledge of Aruba wireless technologies.
- Must have a solid understanding of Gigabit Ethernet switching technologies. Experienced in Layer2/VLAN configuration and troubleshooting.
- Has the ability to use various network diagnostic equipment such as Wireshark, PRTG, SolarWinds, Fluke meter, and other testing hardware and software is required.
- A good level of understanding with Windows operating systems, AD, DNS, DHCP and network printing is essential in order to troubleshoot the range of potential client connectivity problems.
- Experience using Wifi site survey tools like Ekahau and AirWave Visual RF
- Hands on experience with Juniper EX and QFX series switches, including the creation of Juniper Virtual Chassis
- Understands the concepts of both static and dynamic routing (OSPF/BGP)
- Experience with Cisco VoIP (CallManager/Unity) systems
- May have on-call responsibilities would be required to provide weekend and off-hours technical support.
- The overall components that make our Network Infrastructure have high-visibility and stringent uptime requirements that provide for high degrees of stress and pressure.
- Mental effort far outweighs physical effort for this position, although this position may require lifting of network hardware and servers.
Bentley University requires references checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.
Bentley University strives to create a campus community that welcomes the exchange of ideas, and fosters a culture that values differences and views them as a strength in our community.
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity. The University is committed to building a community of talented students, faculty and staff who reflect the diversity of global business. We strongly encourage applications from persons from underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities, covered veterans and those with diverse experiences and backgrounds.