Supplemental Instruction (SI) Peer Facilitator - Institutional Student Worker (Fall 2019)
Position Title:Supplemental Instruction (SI) Peer Facilitator - Institutional Student Worker (Fall 2019) Campus Location:Blue Ridge Job Close Date:08/16/2019 General Summary:
The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for a Supplemental Instruction (SI) Peer Facilitator. Supplemental Instruction (SI) aims to serve the UNG community by going beyond learning to studying intelligently and succeeding academically. We believe in offering an equal opportunity for students to learn, grow, and define academic success. We accomplish this by providing a fun, inclusive, and collaborative environment through peer-assisted study sessions for all students in the course. Students who attend SI sessions are guided by the SI facilitator to think critically, while on average earning half a letter grade higher than non-participants.Job Duties & Responsibilities:
The student will:
- Be responsible for leading SI sessions two times per week for the assigned course using collaborative activities and active learning strategies; holding office hours; attending lectures with students to relearn course content, take notes, promote SI, and role model good student behavior
- Plan for SI sessions including: creating an agenda and preparing worksheets or other resources
- Attend staff development including: orientation training, bi-weekly meetings, observations of peer sessions, and meetings with supervisor and mentors
- Gain leadership skills and training on the international SI model
- Possess good interpersonal communication skills
- Must be enrolled at the University of North Georgia in a minimum of six (6) credit hours to qualify as a student worker
- Undergraduate students must have proven competency in the targeted content area in which they are applying.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater
- Completed targeted courses at UNG with a B or better
- Applicants who do not meet the minimum qualifications may still be considered
- Student applicants must have successfully completed one or more of the following courses:
- MATH 1111
- MATH 1113
- MATH 2400
- PSYC 1101
- SPAN 1001
Required Documents:Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae Special Instructions to Applicants:Please submit contact information for three professional references. Employer Information:All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion.
The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans. Information:Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans. We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.