Temp Lab/Field Tech - Mills River, NC
Position DetailsPosition Information Vacancy Type Temporary Is Internal Transfer Only No Working Title Temp Lab/Field Tech - Mills River, NC Salary Range Anticipated Hiring Range $15/hr Position Number 11ASO1278 Work Schedule Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm. Occasional later afternoons, evenings, and weekend work Full Time Equivalent (FTE) 1 Department 111501 - Horticultural Science Department Horticultural Science Job City & State Mills River, NC Essential Job Duties
This position is located at the Mountain Horticultural Crops Research and Extension Center in Mills River, NC (about 20 miles south of Asheville and 250 miles west of Raleigh). This position reports to Dr. Jeanine Davis; see http://ncherb.org for more information on her program. This position will supply general field and office support to a number of research projects. Much of this time will be spent in the field working to a number of research projects. Much of the time will be spent in the field working with broccoli; organic tomatoes, squash, and southern peas; industrial hemp, hops; medicinal herbs; and truffles. Tasks will include weeding, pruning, training, harvesting, grading, data collection, and general assistance with all aspects of the program. Some office work will include data entry, photo management, copying and scanning receipts, ect. Both organic and conventional crops will be included. This position is a temporary growing season position that will run from approximately May through October.
Individual will be expected to drive a full-size state pickup truck with manual transmission. Some use of a personal vehicle will be expected, with reimbursement for mileage. Office duties will include electronic filing of photographs, entering data into Excel spreadsheets, preparing materials for displays and meetings, and interacting with cooperators via phone and email.Other Work/Responsibilities
-High School Diploma or equivalent and two years of relevant experienceDepartmental Required Skills
-Comfortable talking with people at field days and grower meetings
-Self starter, reliable, prompt, able to make independent decisions, and work as part of a team
-Experience working on a commercial farm, assisting with field research, and knowledge of medicinal and native plants
-Ability and desire to do hard manual labor outdoors for long periods of time in all kinds of weather
-Good photography skills
-Valid Drivers LicenseSpecial Instructions
- Cover Letter
Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time. 03/25/2019 Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies? No Proposed Hire Date 05/01/2019 AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a High School Diploma or equivalent at least two years relevant experience?
- Do you have previous experience working on a commercial farm?
- Do you have experience assisting with field research, and knowledge of medicinal and native plants?
- Do you have the ability and desire to do hard manual labor outdoors for long periods of time in all kinds of weather conditions?
- Are you detail oriented for reliable data collection?
- Would you be comfortable talking with people during field days and grower meetings?
- Do you possess basic photography skills?
- Do you have the ability to drive a full size pick up truck with a manual transmission?
- Are you willing to drive your personal vehicle, with reimbursement for mileage?
- Do you have a valid driver’s license?
- Cover Letter