Extension Program Assistant/Associate
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy Type NC Cooperative Extension Is Internal Transfer Only No Job Type Full-Time - Permanent Time-Limited Appointment Length No If Yes, Appointment Length Title Extension Program Assistant/Associate Working Title Extension Program Assistant/Associate Salary Range Anticipated Hiring Range $31,200 Position Number NC-00042644-0319 Work Schedule Monday - Friday 8 - 5 business hours, with occasional flex hours to attend night and/or weekend events. Full Time Equivalent (FTE) 1.0 Department 117538 - North Central District- Forsyth Department NCCE Forsyth County Center Job City & State Winston-Salem, NC Primary Function of Organizational Unit
North Carolina Cooperative Extension gives our residents easy access to the resources and expertise of NC State University and NC A&T State University. Through educational programs, publications, and events, Cooperative Extension field faculty deliver unbiased, research-based information to North Carolina citizens.
For information about Forsyth County see http://www.co.forsyth.nc.us/
The Extension Volunteer Coordinator is a member of the staff of the North Carolina Cooperative Extension, Forsyth County Center. This position will coordinate volunteers and programs primarily for Extension Master Gardeners and 4-H Youth Development programs. The successful candidate should feel comfortable working with all people, ages 5 and older.Other Work/Responsibilities
• Create and offer various educational sessions focused on volunteerism, learning styles, essential elements of positive youth development, ages and stages, engaging youth audiences
• Create and distribute a volunteer vision newsletter
• Take a lead role in volunteer recognition, the Forsyth County annual banquet and Farm City assisting with volunteer recognition events throughout the year (formal and informal)
• Recruit judges for various events, per 4-H Agents
• Collaborate with office team members to: coordinate volunteers, track monthly reports, be responsible for event registration, return invoices
• Become proficient with 4-H Online data program
• Recruit and train new office volunteers in all programs
• Create written materials for educational lessons for and with volunteers
• Collaborate with colleagues and county marketing staff to produce fliers, emails, videos and other educational pieces
• Assist in fund development activities when volunteers are recruited
• Create job descriptions for all programmatic volunteers
• Training offered for EMGVs that was not already listed: engaging adult audiences, running effective meetings, computer skills
• Recruit and orient volunteers for Extension events (eg Youth Ed, public workday at Arboretum)
• Interact with volunteers in an outdoor setting
• Create and distribute press releases for volunteer events
• Promote volunteer events in the media (eg WXII news)
• Maintain records of volunteer hours and assist with completion of annual certification for Extension Master Gardener Volunteers
The minimum requirement for employment with the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service (NCCES) is a high-school diploma or equivalent. Advanced training in related fields is preferred.Departmental Required Skills
Bachelors Degree. Computer skills are necessary and applicants should possess skills in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Publisher and Google programs. The regular work schedule is Monday-Friday, 8am – 5pm, but flexibility is necessary as some events happen on weeknights and weekends (not to exceed 40 hours per week). Possession of a valid drivers license and access to a vehicle for travel is required.Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
The successful applicant for this demanding position will be energetic and have a desire to make a positive impact on the Cooperative Extension program and the community. Applicants should be responsible and possess a strong work ethic with skills in organization, leadership, communications, networking/teamwork and public relations in their quest to create a harmonious team. Experience in managing volunteers and horticultural practices are both a plus.Required License or Certification
Valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation required and must be maintained.Special Instructions Job Open Date 03/19/2019 Must Be Open Until
Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time. 03/26/2019 Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies? No Proposed Hire Date AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at www.wes.org. Degree must be obtained prior to start date.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Contact Information for References
- Cover Letter