Associate Director for Development (Director of Development, SIU Foundation)
Southern Illinois University Carbondale invites applications and nominations for positions of Associate Director for Development (Director of Development, SIU Foundation). This position is responsible for a portfolio of major gift prospects and is expected to identify, cultivate and solicit private financial support from alumni and friends of Southern Illinois University. These front-line fundraising positions may be assigned to specific collegiate units, programs, or regions. Successful candidates will be members of the University Development Staff and will report to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Development and Alumni Relations. Extensive travel, including nights and weekends, required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Orchestrate and execute the advancement of relationships with prospective donors through appropriate stages of qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship culminating in private philanthropic support.
• In consultation with the Vice Chancellor of Development and Alumni Relations, the Associate Vice Chancellor (AVC) and Unit head (if applicable), identify and establish personal contact with current and prospective major gift donors whose interest and financial capacity have the greatest likelihood of meeting the Unit and University fundraising goals.
• Secure new gifts and commitments for SIU. Conduct documented face to face personal visits per year, qualifying new major gift prospects annually, and submit major proposals/year. Manage a portfolio of prospects.
• Collaborate with appropriate development and academic staff to develop prospect strategies and build relationships.
• Set specific goals and objectives to effectively advance toward solicitation of major gifts.
• Develop a working knowledge of planned giving and develop strategies for appropriate solicitation of planned gifts.
• Become familiar with and understand key initiatives of the university (and specific unit if applicable) relating to faculty, students, instruction and research.
• Prepare proposals and gift agreements as required for proper gift documentation.
• Ensure effective records maintenance, including timely filing of requests for prospect assignments, prospect strategies and contact reports using SIU Foundation’s prospect management system (Advance).
• Provide stewardship of gifts including acknowledgment process, coordinating recognition events, dedications, and working with the University Development Office on appropriate recognition.
• Report regularly on the progress toward annual action plans.
• Specific annual metrics and goals will be established at the beginning of each FY.
• Participate in monthly one-on-one meetings, a mid-year performance discussion and a performance evaluation with the AVC of Development and Unit head (if applicable).
• Protects confidential information.
• Other duties as assigned by the AVC for Development and Alumni Relations.
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of two years' successful professional experience in fundraising or related non-profit organization work, alumni relations, PR/Marketing, or closely-related field. A bachelor's or master's degree in nonprofit management or closely-related subject may be substituted for the two years of experience. Must have a valid driver's license.
This is a security-sensitive position. Before any offer of employment is made, the University will conduct a pre-employment background investigation, which includes a criminal background check.
Preferred Qualifications: Professional fundraising experience in higher education, health-care or other non-profit organization.
Application Deadline: Applications must be completed through jobs.siu.edu by April 1, 2019, or until filled.
Application Procedure: Visit jobs.siu.edu "Administrative/Professional Job Postings" to create an account and apply.
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.