Senior Research Analyst (Quantitative)
Job location: Hyde Park Campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-03-18
Please make sure to read the job posting in its entirety as it reflects both the University roles and responsibilities, followed by the specific description.Department12734 Consortium On Chgo School Res.About the UnitThe To&Through Project integrates research, data, and professional learning to help more students get to and through high school and college. In collaboration with educators, policymakers, and communities, the To&Through Project aims to significantly increase the percentage of Chicago Public Schools freshmen who graduate from high school and go on to earn a college degree, and to share the learning from Chicago with education stakeholders across the country. For more information on the To&Through Project, see toandthrough.uchicago.edu For nearly 30 years, the University of Chicago Consortium on School Research (UChicago Consortium) has informed solutions to the most difficult problems facing urban schools. The UChicago Consortium is committed to better understanding the fundamental practices and conditions that advance student learning, promote attainment, and foster more equitable outcomes. We conduct research of high technical quality that informs policy and practice in the Chicago Public Schools, and schools nationwide. A central component of our work is engaging with a diverse set of stakeholders and stimulating evidence-driven discourse about the vital issues facing schools. The Consortium has a long-standing data agreement with CPS and maintains a data archive with detailed records dating back to 1991, allowing for rigorous, detailed studies of policies and practices. The UChicago Consortium has been described as the ’gold standard‘ for education research-practice partnerships and has been replicated nationally. Our research has been an essential factor in improving outcomes for students and school staff in Chicago, and in school districts across the country. For more information about the UChicago Consortium, see consortium.uchicago.eduJob FamilyResearchResponsible for all aspects of research projects and research facilities. Plans and conducts clinical and non-clinical research; facilitates and monitors daily activities of clinical trials or research projects. Directs engineering and technical support activities to develop and maintain tools and computational methods needed to gather and analyze data.Career Track and Job LevelRole ImpactResponsibilities
The To&Through Project and the UChicago Consortium seek an individual to lead data analysis and quantitative research on educational attainment. Managing a growing team of four to five data and research analysts, the successful candidate will be responsible for leading descriptive research, longitudinal and real-time data management, and data visualization for the To&Through Project. This position will have two titles – Associate Director of Data and Research at the To&Through Project and Senior Research Analyst at the Consortium – and will jointly report to the Director of the To&Through Project and the Deputy Director of the Consortium.
The successful candidate is someone who is deeply committed to educational equity and believes that data and research play a critical role in informing systemic change. They have a proven track record of leading teams through large educational data analysis projects, conducting research through rigorous analyses of quantitative data and are able to communicate complex ideas to a wide variety of audiences. While the successful candidate loves to code, draw data visualizations, build data tools, and discuss interpretations, they also love taking a leadership role in a highly collaborative environment and finding opportunities to laugh and have fun with colleagues.
- Oversee design and production of data for the To&Through Online Tool and real-time data production for quarterly trainings.
- Manage complex databases of student- and institution-level data from multiple sources, updating, developing, and implementing internal protocols for data documentation, code review, and data quality assurance.
- Lead the design and production of descriptive research studies on the educational attainment of Chicago Public Schools students.
- Lead the design of data tools to enable school-based practitioners to more easily pull, visualize, and understand data.
- Create and maintain comprehensive documentation of internal data processes, definitions, and decision rules.
- Oversee a team of 4-5 junior research data analysts, creating a culture of continuous learning and growth.
- Train new team members in SAS and provide technical guidance and oversight for data analysts working in SAS, SQL, and R.
- Contribute to the design and delivery of professional learning and communications associated with data and research from the To&Through Project.
- Manage data-sharing timelines and relationships with data partners, including ongoing relationships with partners, including funders, policymakers, individuals in Chicago schools, the University of Chicago, and state and national educational research organizations.
- Contribute to the intellectual capacity and culture of both the Consortium and the To&Through Project.
Education, Experience or Certifications:
- Master’s degree in public policy, economics, sociology or other relevant social science or mathematical discipline required.
- Doctoral degree in public policy, economics, sociology or other relevant social science or mathematical discipline preferred.
- Coursework in statistics or computer science required.
● At least five years of related experience working in education research or data settings, with experience in state, district, or school settings particularly valued.
● Authorship of public or internal education research or data reports, journal articles, or other manuscripts.
● Experience working with large data sets and developing visualizations for data use.
● Experience supervising and coaching junior staff.
● Experience leading or managing data and research projects.
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
(NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application)
FLSA StatusExemptPay FrequencyMonthlyPay GradeDepends on QualificationsScheduled Weekly Hours37.5Benefits EligibleYesDrug Test RequiredNoHealth Screen RequiredNoMotor Vehicle Record Inquiry RequiredNoPosting Date2019-03-18-07:00Remove from Posting On or Before2019-09-18-07:00Posting StatementThe University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.