Job Title: Medical Assistant
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 13689
Job Code: 8148 Medical Assistant
Job Grade: Range C
Department: Student Health and Counseling
Salary range $2,167 - $4,058 per month (Anticipated hiring salary $2,167 per month)
Note: This is a full-time (40 hours per week), probationary, non-exempt appointment
Note: Initial appointment will be on a 12 month pay plan (salary range: $2,600 - $4,869 per month) from the date of hire through the end of the July 2019 pay period. At the beginning of the August pay period, the appointment will change to a 10/12 pay plan whereby the incumbent will work 10 months per year and are paid 12 months (10/12) with each subsequent June and July off.var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.fresnostate.edu/psp/HFRPRD_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$0','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$0');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;
The Student Health and Counseling Center will be an organization that is recognized for its commitment to providing leadership for health services on campus, and contributing to the success of students and the university community by promoting lifelong healthy behaviors, and creating healthy environments.var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.fresnostate.edu/psp/HFRPRD_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$1','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$1');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;
Medical Assistants (MA) perform a variety of medical technical support services within their scope of practice, as defined by the Medical Board of California.
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Nursing and according to established protocol or direction of a physician, physician assistant, registered nurse, nurse practitioner, or other similar licensed professional, the Medical Assistant performs a variety of skilled and medical assistant duties and gives direct nursing care to students in the Student Health Center and performs related work as required.var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.fresnostate.edu/psp/HFRPRD_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$2','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$2');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;
- Administer medication or immunizations by intramuscular, intradermal, or subcutaneous methods, as well as by inhalation, orally, sublingually, or other methods as directed
- Perform TB skin tests, measure and describe, and refer for interpretation
- Assist providers in the delivery of such health care services as examinations, clinical procedures and medical treatments
- Measure and record objective data and other pertinent information into the patient record
- Prepare both the examining room and the patient for the type of examination or procedure to be performed, including setup and cleanup of exam room and the patient, using basic infection control practices, universal precautions and aseptic techniques
- Instruct patients regarding procedures when required or as appropriate
- Serve as a chaperone for female exams as needed
- Assist handicapped students with personal care
- Perform a variety of standard tests and medical technical services not requiring of a licensed professional examples are: vital signs, vision screening, audiometry and hearing tests, electrocardiograms, peak flow testing and spirometry, removal of sutures and bandages, removal of casts and splints, ear lavage, specimen collection by non-invasive techniques and CLIA-waived testing ordered by a physician or other clinician
- Perform venipuncture or skin puncture for the purposes of withdrawing blood if training requirements have been met
- Properly label specimens and transport to laboratory according to infection control standards
- Prepare requisitions for laboratory and x-ray work as ordered by a provider
- Support clinic administrative and clerical functions and perform other related duties within their scope of practice, as defined by the Medical Board of California. Responsible for effective management of patient flow to clinicians and ancillary servicesCrutch fitting and trainingClean and sterilize equipment and instruments, order and/or stock suppliesAssist in maintaining and scanning medical record documents into the electronic medical recordMake calls to patients for reminders, scheduling changes, take messages, assist providers with refill requests, assist with outside referrals and make appointmentsProvide one-on-one patient education as appropriateDuties and responsibilities may be changed as the job necessitates and within the framework of the memorandum of understanding
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of daily clinic operations ranging from patient scheduling and reception to delivery of health care services and processing of paperwork
- Working knowledge of aseptic techniques and requirements
- Working knowledge of uses, application, and proper operation of various medical supplies and equipment used in performing the duties described above such as in preparing examining rooms, obtaining patient data, and assisting practitioners
- Working knowledge of California laws and regulations pertaining to medical assistants
- General knowledge of anatomy and physiology appropriate to the duties assigned
- General knowledge of potential hazards or complications resulting from administering medications and how to initiate emergency procedures
- Understand and use basic medical assistance terminology to accurately and efficiently support practitioners and follow their instructions
- Perform clinical assistance activities accurately and timely
- Handle instruments and equipment properly
- Read and write English at a level appropriate to the position to support maintaining accurate records and reading medical terminology
- Use health center automated systems to enter and maintain data and prepare simple reports
- Demonstrate the proper techniques in administering medications in a variety of manners including intramuscular, intradermal, or subcutaneous methods and by inhalation
- Demonstrate the proper techniques in performing injections and phlebotomy
- Demonstrate competency in performing assigned medical technical support services such as the standard tests and limited procedures described above
- Maintain effective working relationships with practitioners and other health center support staff
- Be sensitive to and communicate effectively with diverse patients
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent or combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities
- Certificate of completion from an accredited and approved medical assisting program (through the Department of Education or Bureau of Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education within the Department of Consumer Affairs)
- Possess a valid card for successfully completing a course in Basic Life Support
- Two years experience as a Medical Assistant in an ambulatory care setting, urgent care or clinic environment.
- Certified Califonia Medical Assistant preferred
- Experience performing EKG procedures.
- Experience with electronic Medical record (EMR) systems
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills required
Applications received by April 1, 2019 will be reviewed for minimum qualifications and given full consideration by the hiring manager and/or search committee. Qualified applicants received after that date will be forwarded upon request to the hiring manager and/or search committee.var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.fresnostate.edu/psp/HFRPRD_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$8','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$8');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;
Complete the required fields on the online application, a resume, and three professional references, including telephone numbers, are required. A cover letter that addresses your qualifications for the position is also required. Full consideration will not be given to applicants who fail to complete all application requirements.
Pursuant to Executive Order 1088, reasonable accommodation is to be provided upon request from an employee or applicant with disabilities, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the campus. What constitutes a reasonable accommodation is to be determined by the campus on a case-by-case basis after it has received the individual's request for accommodation and engaged in an interactive process. Employees or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation should contact Human Resources directly at (559) 278-2032.
How To Apply
To apply for this or any open position at Fresno State visit our online employment site at: http://jobs.csufresno.edu/var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.fresnostate.edu/psp/HFRPRD_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$10','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$10');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;
Pursuant to the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, any offer of employment is contingent upon verification of individual's eligibility to be employed in the United States.
California State University, Fresno, in conjunction with the CSU policy, requires that the successful candidate complete a full background check (including a criminal records check) prior to assuming this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the background check may impact the job offer or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified as sensitive.
California State University, Fresno annual security report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Fresno State, and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to or accessible from the campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, alcohol/drug use, crime prevention, reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting the Campus Police Department or by accessing the following web site: http://www.fresnostate.edu/adminserv/police/clery/index.html
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following web site: https://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083-rev-7-21-17.html
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Other Applicant Information
Applicants will receive confirmation of receipt of their application materials via automatic email reply. In addition, qualified applicants will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process.
It is the policy of the California State University to fill vacant positions represented by the California State University Employees' Union (CSUEU) with qualified applicants currently employed on the campus. Other applicants may be selected when it is necessary to meet the best interests of the campus by obtaining specialized skills and abilities not available from campus applicants.
Temporary positions filled through recruitment may be extended or converted to permanent status without a second recruitment depending on the availability of funding and the circumstances that created the vacancy. A permanent or probationary on-campus applicant selected to fill a temporary vacancy at a higher classification or skill level that expires within the stated timeframe may return to his or her previous classification, not necessarily in the same position, subject to the conditions of the appropriate bargaining agreement.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Order 883 prohibits discrimination and Executive Order 927 prohibits harassment, on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity, per HR 2004-12), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Retaliation against individuals for complaining about these proscribed conduct, opposing such conduct, or participating in an investigation or proceeding involving such conduct is prohibited by both executive orders.
Further, California State University, Fresno's statement of commitment to equal employment opportunity principles is also found in the various collective bargaining agreements.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to offer high-quality educational opportunities to qualified students at the bachelor's and master's levels, and in certain applied disciplines, at the doctoral level. The current student enrollment is approximately 24,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and
culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and world. California State University, Fresno promotes student learning and community engagement through faculty scholarship and service learning opportunities in collaboration with community organizations, educational institutions, industry, business and government. The University was one of the first U.S. Colleges and Universities to be selected by The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching for its Community Engagement Classification.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 600,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley on the western edge of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. The campus is within driving distance of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.