Job no: 496302
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Library & IT
- Assists with the monitoring and support of daily network operations, on both wired and wireless networks.Assists with wireless site surveys and the implementation of our campus-wide high density wireless expansion.Assists with the configuration and maintenance of network equipment, including but not limited to, Cisco switches and routers, Aruba wireless controllers and access points, and Palo Alto firewalls.Provides troubleshooting and resolution of level 1 and 2 network, wireless and/or information security issues.Performs physical installation of network cabling and associated equipment, which will include punching down wires, terminating jacks, crimping ends on Cat5/5e/6/6a cables, mounting access points and similar equipment.Participates in the planning, development, testing, implementation, and documentation of new hardware as well as enhancements to the existing hardware for the physical and data security systems that comprise the campus network.Assists with the planning and development of projects and applications throughout the university that require network involvement, experience and/or integration.Assists with training and instruction for the transfer of procedures and knowledge to other Library and IT staff, as well as to the campus community at large.Organizes and maintains informational and procedural documentation for the network team.Maintains supportive, professional relationships with end users by providing courteous, responsive service to the campus community, including our colleagues in Library & Information Technology.Stays up-to-date with current trends and developments in networking, information security and telecommunications.Occasionally collaborates with outside vendors and/or contractors to support, troubleshoot and/or implement the technology that makes up the campus network.Participates in semi-annual disaster recovery planning, testing and remediation.Utilizes TeamDynamix to track ticket entries, progress and resolution; for project updates and time tracking; and change management requests.Organizes, maintains and ensures availability of stock networking hardware, cabling, tools, labels, etc.Ensures the asset management database for the networking team remains accurate and up-to-date.Participates in overnight on-call rotation and is available during non-office and emergency hours to respond to critical needs of the University.Protects, respects and maintains the confidentiality of information held within or transferred across the University’s technological resources.Assumes other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field or Associate's degree in a relevant field plus 2 years of experience working with enterprise networking technologies (or some equivalent combination of education and experience)
- Demonstrated experience in troubleshooting and creative problem solving
- Demonstrated experience with physical (layer 1) networking, for instance: Installing network racks and/or cable tray; cable termination (RJ45 ends, jacks and/or punch-down blocks); routing copper & fiber optic cables through cable management systems, uplinking devices such as wireless access points and network switches
- Familiarity with the Cisco IOS, IOS XE and/or NX OS operating system
- Familiarity with wireless networking fundamentals, for instance: protocols, authentication types, radio frequencies, etc.
- Willingness to work closely and amicably with a diverse group of individuals including students, faculty, administrators, and support staff who possess a wide variety of technical skills/understanding
- Enthusiasm for continued learning
- Bachelor's degree
- CCENT, CCNA or similar certifications
- Ability to differentiate colors.
- Ability to climb ladders and perform over-head work.
- Ability to work in confined spaces.
- Ability to lift moderate loads (~30lbs) unassisted, heavier loads (~70lbs) with assistance.
- May be sometimes required to work in areas that are not temperature controlled.
- May need to work in areas under construction and/or dusty locations.
- Must be able to work at a computer terminal for extended periods of time.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: 18 Mar 2019 Eastern Daylight Time