Assistant Director of Student Involvement
Founded in 1850, Illinois Wesleyan University (IWU) is an independent, residential, Liberal Arts University with roughly 1,700 undergraduate students. Nestled between three metropolitan areas (Chicago, IL, St. Louis, MO, Indianapolis, IN), the Bloomington-Normal community is home to four institutions of higher education and numerous eateries, entertainment options, and civic engagement opportunities. IWU has a distinctive goal, to help students BE Breakthrough! As an institution, IWU accomplishes this goal by providing an exceptional educational experience, and building a campus environment that resembles the world students will enter upon graduation. Committed to environmental sustainability, social justice, and diversity, IWU attempts to create a community where students will engage individuals from different backgrounds and encounter a plurality of experiences that will help them be prepared to navigate and lead in a changing workforce.
The Division of Student Affairs at IWU invites applications for the Assistant Director of the Office of Student Involvement. Supporting the mission of the institution and Division of Student Affairs, the Assistant Director will help advance an involvement program that promotes an active campus life; meets the needs and addresses the interests of a diverse campus population; and contributes to the overall development of individuals and the campus community. IWU is seeking a student-centered educator who is committed to supporting the holistic growth and development of students and embraces the opportunity to enhance diversity in every aspect of the student experience through involvement. Broad responsibilities of the Assistant Director includes:
- Oversight of all Registered Student Organizations including development of groups and their individual members.
- Risk and policy management, and advisement of the Panhellenic Council.
- Advisement of student senate, a group that represents the needs and opinions of the students to the campus administration.
- Supervision of the coordinator for student involvement and partial supervision of the administrative assistant in the office.
- Oversight of the creation and implementation of several annual university wide programs.
- Campus On-call responsibilities through the Dean of Student Office.
- Master's Degree in student personnel, higher education administration, or related area is preferred with a minimum of 2 years of experience in student affairs.
- Some experience working with Greek organizations (does not have to be direct)
- Demonstrated experience advising and counseling students
- Demonstrated experience responding appropriately to student concerns and managing student issues
- Proven experience exercising good judgment and the ability to remain unbiased and impartial in dealing with fraternity and sorority issues
- Strong writing and public speaking skills;
Other Desired Qualifications:
- A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong supervisory and mentoring skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Completed application packets will include:
- Cover Letter
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- The names, titles, & contact information for three professional references.
- Statement (no specific length) that explains how you have demonstrated a commitment to diversity in professional or personal life.
Review of applications will begin April 10, 2019, and continue until the position is filled.
Illinois Wesleyan University
Human Resources, Holmes 209
1312 N. Park Street
Bloomington, IL 61701
Email: [email protected]
The final candidate will pass a pre-employment background investigation.
Illinois Wesleyan University’s sexual misconduct policy may be accessed at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/SexualMisconductPolicy.html. Illinois Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusive excellence; details at www.iwu.edu/diversity.