Faculty Development Director
California State University Channel Islands (CSUCI) invites applications for the position of Director of Faculty Development. The Director is a key report to the Associate Vice Provost of Innovation & Faculty Development, Jill Leafstedt, and will be an energetic, creative, and collaborative individual ready to build a faculty development program to support CI’s dynamic faculty and promote student success. The search is open and international in its outreach.
CSUCI seeks a Director of Faculty Development that can join our team in creatively implementing faculty programming to support their productivity and student success. Under the supervision of the Associate Vice Provost for Innovation & Faculty Development, the Director for Faculty Development will provide leadership across campus in the development, implementation, and management of faculty development programs. The FD Director is responsible for envisioning, developing, and delivering a comprehensive program to support the career-long development of faculty in the areas of teaching, learning, research, and creative activities. Provide guidance on service responsibilities. The development will be done with the diverse CI faculty body in mind, and should reach all faculty working at CI, including tenure line, and full and part time lecturers.
An emphasis should be placed on developing programs and outreach to faculty that:
• provides mentorship and support aimed at continuous improvement for faculty as learners
• supports faculty in enhancing student learning
• increases faculty productivity in scholarship and creative activity
• Experience in designing and coordinating programs using an equity lens.
• links to the University Strategic Initiatives
This position is housed within Teaching & Learning Innovations and will be an integral part of the team focused on aligning Innovation, Academic Technology, and Faculty Development to meet the mission of the University. The FD Director has authority for administrative functions and will exercise significant and sound judgment in the management of FD, and in the development and implementation of the Faculty Development activities and programs.
Responsibilities & Duties
• Design and facilitate faculty development programs to support faculty success in teaching & learning, scholarship and creative activities, and faculty productivity.
• Provide outreach to all campus faculty about opportunities and support available
• Provide clear and organized communication about faculty development opportunities through newsletters, website, meetings, etc.
• Engage with campus leaders in strategic planning for academic improvement and student success
• Provide a continuous professional development model for faculty as learners
• Develop a program for mentoring and supporting faculty during their first two years at CI.
• Manage Faculty Inquiry Projects
• Provide insight and direction for Teaching & Learning Innovations at CI by becoming an integral member of the team.
Supervisor other work relationships
Reports to the Associate Vice Provost of Innovation & Faculty Development. Collaborates with the Academic Deans and Faculty Affairs to align efforts, work with the Director of Research and Sponsored Programs to support faculty in grant writing and research. Works closely with CSUCI Faculty Development Advisory Council and the CSU Faculty Development Council, Collaborates with the Office for Professional Development and Personal Enrichment at CI.
Requirements of the Position
Terminal degree, tenured faculty member required, full professor preferred. Candidates must demonstrate success in scholarship and/or creative activities, an exemplary record of teaching & learning, proven ability to facilitate groups, demonstrated success leading, mentoring, and guiding faculty, and a successful track record of leadership in higher education. Knowledge of academic technologies desired.
CI is committed to recruiting individuals who are dedicated to furthering inclusive excellence in our campus community. We seek to enhance our diverse University population, welcoming people from all backgrounds, to sustain an environment in which all can thrive, create, work and learn.