Director of Geospatial Data Science Center
Director of Geospatial Data Science Center Please see Special Instructions for more details. Applications must be submitted online at www.jobs.ecu.edu and should include a cover letter (limit one page – reference supplemental questions section). An optional additional supporting document may be submitted that speaks directly to the candidate’s relevant leadership with regard to this position and how this would translate to developing a cutting-edge center at ECU. Candidates should also include a curriculum vitae or full resume. Contact information for three references, including phone and email, should be submitted at the time of application. An official transcript and three original letters of reference are required upon employment. In your cover letter please address:1.What education and experience makes you the best applicant for the position?2.What professional and/or leadership skills do you possess to help build a Geospatial Data Science Center?3.In a paragraph or less describe your vision for an optimal Geospatial Data Science Center.Questions may be addressed to Dr. Ernest Marshburn, search committee chair ([email protected]). Review of applications will begin April 01, 2019 and remain open until filled. Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Title Director of Geospatial Data Science Center Position Number 500140 Vacancy Open to All Candidates Department AAH Geography Department Homepage https://geography.ecu.edu/ Advertising Department GEOGRAPHY, DEPT OF Division Academic Affairs Classification Title Director-Professional (Other) Working Title Director of Geospatial Data Science Center Number of Vacancies 1 Full Time Equivalent (FTE) 1.0 Full Time or Part Time Full Time Recruitment Range Commensurate with Qualifications Position Location (City) Greenville Position Type EHRA - Non-Faculty Job Category Non-Faculty Instructional & Research Organizational Unit Overview
The Department of Geography, Planning and Environment (https://geography.ecu.edu/) is a diverse, research-active, and collegial unit that houses five undergraduate degree programs, and offers the MS in Geography. The Department has a strong commitment to inter-disciplinary research, and we expect the candidate to build and strengthen the opportunities for collaboration between our faculty and other academic units on the ECU Campus.Job Duties
The Department of Geography, Planning, and Environment in the Thomas Harriot College of Arts and Sciences is offering a unique opportunity for an individual to lead and become the face of a newly evolving Geospatial Data Science Center. This individual will work closely with the Chair of the Department of Geography, Planning, and Environment, and The Division of Research, Economic Development, and Engagement, to develop a center that broadly serves the geospatial needs of ECU’s academic affairs and health sciences campuses, while guiding the center to become a hub for innovative solutions that assist residents in Eastern North Carolina (ENC). The candidate is expected to communicate, work, and interact with individuals in academia, federal, state and local government, industry and the citizens of NC. The expectation is this individual will develop an agile roadmap for bringing in funded research, developing transformative projects in ENC and beyond and eventually have the center be self-sufficient based on income from projects. Deliverables from the center should combine the latest geospatial technologies with customer/user-centric design and data-driven insights to consistently deliver information that can expand research, develop novel approaches in industry, and provide the necessary knowledge to guide community management and policy in ENC.
A successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the following areas:
1. To provide vision, leadership and strategic direction for the overall development and advancement of the Geospatial Data Science Center.
2. To cultivate donor relationships, coordinating fundraising processes and overseeing the authoring of proposals to a wide variety of funders.
3. To establish connections and guide quantitative and qualitative inquiries and projects with other researchers and students at ECU.
4. To seek out and execute consulting engagements for paying clients in the private, public and non-profit sectors with the goal of bringing about regional transformation.
5. To help produce projects that will lead to the successful development of tools that become essential to applied research and management and policies in eastern North Carolina.
6. To promote the efforts of the Geospatial Data Science Center via national media, industry conferences, research presentations, webinars, website, etc.Minimum Education/Experience
Relevant post-Baccalaureate degree plus 3 years experience required; for candidates demonstrating comparable independent educational activities, will accept a Bachelor’s Degree in Geography, Geographic Information Science and Technology, Geospatial Data Science, or related field and 5 years of experience in GIS project management of diverse teams that include, but are not limited to, scientists and technicians.License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation
nonePreferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
1. Ph.D. in Geography, Geographic Information Science and Technology, Geospatial Data Science, or related field and senior-level management that can translate to the ability to create and sustain a vibrant hub for geospatial data science and analytics at ECU.
2. Proven ability to negotiate and oversee high-level components of client contracts, such as evaluating needs, setting project expectations, creating and monitoring budgets, making team assignments, and establishing deliverable schedules.
3. Demonstrated success with managing the full life cycles of multiple complex, cross-functional, client-oriented geospatial analysis projects, from scoping to delivery enablement and support of faculty research and workforce development, including the strategic pursuit and management of team science projects
4. Demonstrated strength in rigorous research/analysis and structured problem solving
5. Demonstrated experience and dedication to mentorship and the professional development of teams
6. Professional and/or personal experience in rural prosperity initiatives
7. Strong professional network across tech, venture capital, government, real estate, philanthropy, and/or social enterprise fields
1. Strong computer skills, experience with GIS, remote-sensing and data science approaches
2. Ability to be self-directed, but also thrive in a collaborative team environment
3. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, experience in front-line client communications
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment
5. Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks/projects
6. Attention to detail and high standards for work quality
Applications must be submitted online at www.jobs.ecu.edu and should include a cover letter (limit one page – reference supplemental questions section). An optional additional supporting document may be submitted that speaks directly to the candidate’s relevant leadership with regard to this position and how this would translate to developing a cutting-edge center at ECU. Candidates should also include a curriculum vitae or full resume. Contact information for three references, including phone and email, should be submitted at the time of application. An official transcript and three original letters of reference are required upon employment.
In your cover letter please address:
1.What education and experience makes you the best applicant for the position?
2.What professional and/or leadership skills do you possess to help build a Geospatial Data Science Center?
3.In a paragraph or less describe your vision for an optimal Geospatial Data Science Center.
Questions may be addressed to Dr. Ernest Marshburn, search committee chair ([email protected]). Review of applications will begin April 01, 2019 and remain open until filled.Additional Instructions to Applicant
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.Job Open Date 03/18/2019 Open Until Filled Yes Job Close Date - Positions will be posted until 11:59 p.m. EST on this date. If no closing date is indicated, the position may close at any time after the initial screening date. Initial Screening Begins 04/01/2019 Rank Level Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting http://ecu.peopleadmin.com/postings/26772 AA/EOE
East Carolina University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and seeks to create an environment that fosters the recruitment and retention of a more diverse student body, faculty, staff and administration. We encourage qualified applicants from women, minorities, veterans, individuals with a disability, and historically underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race/ethnicity, color, genetic information, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Individuals requesting accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) should contact the Department for Disability Support Services at (252) 737-1016 (Voice/TTY).Eligibility for Employment
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. ECU participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.Office of Human Resources Contact Information
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (252) 328-9847 or toll free at 1-866-489-1740 or send an email to [email protected] Our office is available to provide assistance Monday-Friday from 8:00-5:00 EST.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate where you learned about this job vacancy.
- Workplace Diversity
- Greenville Daily Reflector
- Raleigh News & Observer
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Journal of Blacks in Higher Ed
- Hispanic Outlook
- Women in Higher Ed
- Yahoo HotJobs.com
- ECU Website
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Additional Document #1