Business Development Manager
Business Development Manager
Job Number: 82398
Business Development Manager
(JCC: Marketing Manager 2)
Office of Technology Licensing
Job Code: 4902, Grade: K
The Office of Technology Licensing at Stanford University seeks to fill a Business Development Manager position. In this position, you will lead the development and implementation of marketing and business development activities for early-stage technologies. You will drive cross-functional collaboration between the Licensing Associates, Marketing Specialists in your group and the central support functions. Under your leadership, OTL staff will create custom technology marketing campaigns for the most promising Stanford technologies; engage VCs, entrepreneurs and Stanford faculty; coordinate participation in large technology transfer conferences and highlight Stanford inventions to senior executives at large companies. You will participate in selecting a team of staff members, as well as the management of outside vendors, to optimize the efficiency of operations.
The Office of Technology Licensing (OTL) was established in 1970 to manage the intellectual property assets of Stanford University. OTL evaluates, markets, and licenses technology owned by the University. OTL's mission is to encourage effective technology transfer for the public benefit as well as generating royalty income for Stanford to benefit research and education. OTL is one of the country's most active offices in the field of technology transfer from the university to industry. Our staff, most of whom are professionals engaged directly in licensing, manages over 3,000 active dockets. OTL will move from Palo Alto to the new Stanford Redwood City campus in July 2019. The new Stanford Redwood City campus brings together 2,700 staff in a collaborative environment that reflects Stanford's culture and mission. The campus will offer amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a childcare center for Stanford families.
CORE DUTIES* With limited supervision from the Executive Director:
- Develop and execute marketing strategies and marketing plans/programs to meet OTL's licensing objectives and/or to facilitate sponsored research projects at Stanford.
- Manage the execution of communication and brand strategy for OTL across multiple channels (i.e., website, email marketing, conferences, social media and corporate presentations).
- Oversee market research to determine the most promising Stanford technologies for marketing. Maintain a current understanding of biotech and high-tech market trends and needs.
- Develop strategies for customer targeting.
- Foster partnerships with Stanford departments, schools and entrepreneurship organizations; other Tech Transfer offices, VC and angel groups, and entrepreneurs.
- Responsibility for staff including the recruitment, management, development, and retention of staff.
- Set goals and objectives in alignment with organizational goals.
- Oversee event management as needed to support marketing objectives.
- Manage vendor relationships, e.g. IP analytics tools, website updates.
*- Other duties may also be assigned
Education and Experience: Bachelor's degree and eight years of relevant experience; or a combination of education and relevant experience.
MBA. Experience in an industry and/or academic technology transfer setting. Experience managing a group focused on marketing and/or business development
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated skills managing marketing and/or business development staff
- Ability to quickly understand new technologies at the level necessary to market them
- Ability to work effectively with decision-makers across many levels of an organization.
- Highly detail oriented with strong ability to understand constituent needs and lead teams toward a common goal.
- Strategic thinking and leadership skills.
- Proven track record with marketing and business development in a university technology transfer setting.
- Excellent project manager with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience presenting to senior management.
- Ability to motivate, develop and train staff.
- Prior experience in planning and managing budgets.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, use a telephone, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, speaking.
- Occasionally grasp forcefully, writing by hand.
- Rarely sort/file paperwork.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Occasional work on evenings and weekends. Occasional travel may be required.
Stanford University is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to recruiting and hiring qualified women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Background check will be required for all final candidates.
Location: Dean of Research, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency